Osage IndiansEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
To get started in American Indian Genealogy
Ancestral Homeland: Between Missouri and Arkansas River
Culture area: Southern Prairie, in Missouri area
Linguistic group: Dhegiha Siouan
Federal Status: Recognized
Bands: Pahatsi or Great Osage, Utsehta or Little Osage, and Santsukhdhi or Arkansas.
Pawhuska, OK 74056
- Osage Nation Official Website
- Forced from the east, by the powerful Iroquois Indians; to the Missouri area.
- 1673: Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet French explorers visited the Tribe along the Osage River.
- 1755: Battle of Fort Duquesne, French aided by Indian warriors, defeated the English troops and killed, Major General Edward Braddock.
- 1795-1802: Auguste Chouteau, a fur trader who controlled the trade with the Osage and built Fort Carondelet in 1795.
- 1808: Treaty at Fort Clark, Kansas; ceded 200 square miles in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas.
- November 1815: asked to sell
- 1818: Land cession-Treaty
- 1822: some of the Missouri bands moved farther west to the Neosho River
- 1824-1851: Tribe under the jurisdiction of the Osage Agency
- 1825: Land cession - Treaty
- 1839: Land cession - Treaty
- 1851-74: Tribe under the jurisdiction of the Neosho Agency
- 1865: Land cession-Treaty
- 1868-69: Served as scouts in the U.S. Army in Sheridan's Campaign
- 1870: Treaty established the Osage Reservation in the northeastern part of Indian Territory (Oklahoma)
- 1874-80: Tribe under the jurisdiction of the Osage Agency
- 1894: Oil discovered on the reservation. In 1904 there were 155 oil-producing wells and 18 gas wells on the reservation.
- June 28, 1906: Osage Allotment Act. " ..all persons enrolled as Osage before January 1,1906, and all born between then and July 1, 1907, would share in the division of the land and resources." When the roll was closed in 1907, it contained 1,119 names: 926 full-bloods and 1,303 mixed bloods including Indians and non-Indian adoptees.
- 1919-1929: Tribe received money when oil was discovered on their land.
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
Correspondence and Census records
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
Pre-1880 Correspondence M234 RG 75 Roll 962
Post 1885 Census M595 RG 75
|Osage||Osage Agency, 1824-51, 1874-1961||Washington D.C. and Fort Worth||Rolls 631-41||-||Rolls 317-28, 530-37, 631-41||FHL Films: 579727-579738|
|Osage||Neosho Agency, 1851-74||Washington D.C.||Rolls 530-37||-||-||-|
- 1808November 10, at Fort Clark
- 1815 September 12, at Portage des Sioux
- 1818September 25, at St. Louis
- 1822August 31,
- 1825 June 2, at St. Louis
- 1825 August 10, at Council Grove with the Great and Little Osage
- 1835 August 24, at Camp Holmes with the Comanche, Ect.,
- 1839January 11, at Fort Gibson
- 1865 September 29, at Canville Trading Post
- 1865 September 13, at Fort Smith - unratified- with the Cherokee and Other Tribes in the Indian Territory
W.S. Fitzpatrick. Treaties and Laws of the Osage Nation, as passed November 26, 1890. Cedar Vale, KN. Press of the Cedar Vale Comercial, 1895. FHL Book 970.3 Os1f
- Osage Agency,M595,births and deaths 1924-1931, FHL Film: 579734
Important Web Sites
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- Waldman, Carl. Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. New York, New York: Facts on File, 2006. 3rd ed. WorldCat 14718193; FHL book 970.1 W146e 2006.
- This page was last modified on 9 May 2014, at 17:11.
- This page has been accessed 7,561 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki