Page County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Page County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Page County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent County|
- Page County, Iowa is named in honor of Captain John Page of the 4th U.S. Infantry, who was mortally wounded in the battle of Palo Alto during the Mexican American War.
1847--Page County was created 24 February 1847 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Appanoose County prior to organization 22 March 1852. County seat: Clarinda 
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1858 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged. For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- African American Museum of Iowa The heritage of African Americans in Iowa
- Family Biographies from The History of Page County, Iowa (1880) published by Iowa Historical Company are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
- Biographical history of Page County, Iowa : containing portraits of all the presidents of the United States from Washington to at Ancestry.com ($)
- Iowa WPA Gravestone Project -- Nice name index for many cemeteries in Iowa
- Find A Grave has Page County cemeteries with some headstone pictures. If yours isn't among the photographs you can request to have one taken and posted.
- Rose Hill Cemetery ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- An article about the Federal and State Census Records that exist for Iowa. Iowa Census
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
- Iowa Page County Recorder's Office has property and misc. records dating back to 1838. Genealogy research is not performed by the Page County Recorder’s office. However, this office has land and vital records that are open to the public.
- 1839 - 1875 Land Abstracts Andreas Plat Book 1900 ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
Law and Legislation
Local histories are available for Page County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Page County history, Iowa at Ancestry.com ($)
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Iowa
-  David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures. This Collection features the city of Shenandoah.
- Map of 1905 Page County, Iowa
- 1st Iowa Regiment Cavalry ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- WWII Honor Roll of Dead and Missing ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
Regiments. Service men in Page County, Iowa served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Page County, Iowa:
- - 4th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
- - 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company F
- - 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company F
:- 4th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Page County, Iowa newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Page County Obituaries ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Adair - Probate records.
- A Family Search article about the Probate Records that exist for Iowa. Iowa Probate Records
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
- Iowa, County Births 1880-1935 ~ FamilySearch
- Iowa Births and Christenings 1830-1950 ~ FamilySearch
- Iowa, County Marriages 1838-1934 ~ FamilySearch
- Iowa Marriages 1809-1992 ~ FamilySearch
- Iowa, Deaths and Burials 1830-1990 ~ FamilySearch
Family History Centers
- Shenandoah Iowa Family History Center
507 E Pioneer Ave
Shenandoah, Ia 51601
Hours T 1pm-4pm; W 7pm-9pm; Th 10am-3pm.; Closures: Closed the last two weeks in December.
Societies and Libraries
See also a List of Iowa Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Lied Public Library
100 E. Garfield St.
Clarinda, Iowa 51632
Monday: 12pm-8pm;Tues-Thur: 9:30am-6pm; Fri: 9:30am-5:00pm; Sat: 9:30am-1pm; Sun: Closed
- Nodaway Valley Historical Museum
1600 South 16th Street
PO Box 393
Clarinda, Iowa 51632
Mondays: Closed Tuesdays: 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday: 1-4 p.m. for May thru Sept. and 2-4 p.m. for Oct. thru April. We will also open by appointment at other times for people to research.
- Greater Shenandoah Historical Society
800 W Sheridan Ave
PO Box 182
Shenandoah Iowa 56101
- Page County, IA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Iowa Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Iowa Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Page County, IA Family History and Genealogy Message Board (Ancestry)
- Page County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- FamilySearch Catalog(Family Search)
- Genealogy Trails History Group(Genealogy Trails History)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 05:06.
- This page has been accessed 10,315 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki