Pah-Ute County, ArizonaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Pah-Ute County was a former county in the northwest corner of Arizona Territory from 1865 until 1871. It covered land in present day Arizona and Nevada. But Utah, Nevada, and Arizona all lay claim to the land.
- 22 December 1865 - Pah-Ute County was created by Arizona out of the north part Mohave County.
- 18 January 1867 - A large portion of Pah-Ute County and a smaller portion of Mohave County was given to Nevada by the US government. Nevada used the land to increase Lincoln County and Nye County. Utah opposed this transfer of land by creating Rio Virgin County which extended out of Utah, covering a large portion of Pah-Ute County. Arizona opposed loosing this land, twice petitioned Congress for repeal of the law. Up thru 1868, representatives from Pah-Ute county attended the Arizona legislature.
- 18 February 1871 - Arizona discontinued Pah-Ute County, finally accepting the loss after exhausting all legal remedies. The remainder of Pah-Ute county was restored to Mohave County.
Records of Pah-Ute County, Arizona may be found in Mohave County, Arizona. Some records may be found in Washington county, Utah (holding records of discontinued Rio Virgin County, Utah). Also check in Lincoln County, Nevada and Nye County, Nevada.
See also Previous Jurisdictions to land in Arizona showing dates the jurisdictions were created and maps. This will help in determining what jurisdiction your ancestor lived in and where the records are now located.
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Pah-Ute County, Arizona" in Wikipedia:the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pah-Ute_County,_Arizona (accessed 9 August 2010).
- ↑ Arizona Territorial Laws 1865, 2d assy. pp. 19-20
- ↑ U.S. Stat., vol. 14, ch. 73/p. 43; Sacks, 25; Van Zandt, p. 158, 165
- ↑ Arizona Territorial Laws 1871, 6th assy. p. 87
- This page was last modified on 5 August 2014, at 20:20.
- This page has been accessed 3,802 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki