Painswick, GloucestershireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Painswick, Gloucestershire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Stroud PLU|
|Parish registers: 1547|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1570|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
PAINSWICK (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, in the union of Stroud, hundred of Bisley, E.division of the county of Gloucester, 6½ miles (S. S.E.) from Gloucester, and 100 (W. by N.) from London; containing the chapelry of Shepscomb, and the tythings of Edge, Spoonbed, and Stroud-End. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Painswick, Gloucestershire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BIVRI = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg.org.uk|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|PAINSWICK PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288762.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 525-530. Date accessed: 07 January 2013.
- ↑ 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 1 December 2012.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Gloucestershire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 April 2014.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:37.
- This page has been accessed 2,135 times.