United States, Panama Canal Zone, Employment Records and Sailing lists (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: United States, Panama Canal Zone, Employment Records and Sailing lists, 1905-1937 .
The collection consists of an index and images of employee records (service history cards), sailing lists of contract laborers and employee identification records (metal check cards and applications). This collection is part of Record Group 185, Records of the Panama Canal, 1848-1999. The records are located in the National Archives.
For a list of records by surnames currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
The records may include the following information:
- Birth place
- Change in status
- Position or job
- Service dates
- Where Appointed
- File number
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the full name along with some identifying information such as birth date, birth place, residence, or approximate dates of employment.
Search the Collection
To search the collection by name fill in your ancestor’s name in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about those in the list to what you already know about your own ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person.
If you did not find the person you were looking for, you may need to search the collection by image.
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Description" which takes you to the images.
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination.
With either search keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details about your ancestor. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors.
The following suggestions may help you in your search:
- Compile a list of other personnel with the same surname. This is especially helpful if the surname is unusual.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- If you are having difficulty locating your ancestor, look for variant spellings of the surnames. You should also look for abbreviated names and nicknames.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Panama Canal Zone items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Panama Canal Zone.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. It may include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "United States, Panama Canal Zone, Employment Records and Sailing lists, 1905-1937." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing NARA Record Group 185. College Park, Maryland: National Archives and Records Administration, Archives II, n.d.
- This page was last modified on 7 November 2014, at 22:38.
- This page has been accessed 2,958 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page