Panola County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Panola County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Panola County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||9 February, 1886|
|Address|| Panola County Courthouse|
151 Public Sq;
Batesville, MS 38606-2220
Panola County Courthouse]
Panola County Courthouse
151 Public Sq;
Batesville, MS 38606-2220
Clerk Chancery Court has divorce and probate records from 1836. Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1885 and court records 1836. 
1886--Panola County was created 9 February 1836 from the the Chickasaw Cesson.
County seat: Batesville 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1886--Some records were lost. For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Panola County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Holy Innocents Parish, Como
- 1881-1885 - Holy Innocents Parish, Como, Baptism Index 1881-1885. Batch C714301 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1856-1895 - Holy Innocents Parish, Como, Marriage Index 1856-1895. Batch M714301 at FamilySearch - free.
Davis Chapel, Methodist Episcopal
- 1881-1920, 1940-1944 - Davis Chapel, Methodist Episcopal Baptism Index 1881-1920, 1940-1944. Batch C714281 at FamilySearch - free.
Methodist Episcopal Church, Como
- 1879-1885 - Methodist Episcopal Church, Como, Baptism Index 1879-1885. Batch C714311 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1880-1895 - Methodist Episcopal Church, Como, Marriage Index 1880-1895. Batch M714311 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1880-1900 - Methodist Episcopal Church, Como, Death Index 1880-1900. Batch B714311 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Panola County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1785-1918)
- Family Maps of Panola County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Men from Panola County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Panola County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company C - Panola Cavalry
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Johnston's)
- Company E - Pleasant Mount Rifles
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Partisans [Also known as 2nd Partisan Rangers Cavalry/Ballentine’s]
- Company H - Ballentine’s Guards
- Company K - Jernigan’s Company
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company D - Senatobia Opposers
- - 5th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company H - Hill’s Company
- - 19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry (Duff's)
- Company H - Morris’ Company
- - 8th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry (formerly 19th Battalion Mississippi Cavalry (Duff's)
- Company H - Morris’ Company
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (Old)
- Company H - Panola Guards
- Company I - Senatobia Invincibles, aka Invincibles
- - 12th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company E - Sardis Blues [also listed as Co. F]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Panola County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Chancery Court records, 1840-1906; index, 1880-1972 (Panola County, Mississippi) Includes index. Also Mississippi Probate Records are viewable there.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1879-1880 - Panola County Birth Index 1879-1880. Batch C749877 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1879-1942 - Panola County Birth Index 1879-1942. Batch C714295 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871-1917 - Panola County Marriage Books 1-7 and Index 1823-1927 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1879-1880 - Panola County Death Index 1879-1880. Batch B749878 at FamilySearch - free.
- Estates, wills, divorce cases (Panola County, Mississippi), 1880-1950 Mississippi, Probate Records are available online. Microfilm of original records at the Panola County Courthouse in Batesville, Mississippi. The Panola Chancery Court is in the 2nd Court District. Arranged by case number. Estates, wills, and divorces are filed together. Beginning with case number 1601 all files cover divorces.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Panola County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Panola County, Mississippi page 381, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 3.9 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 24 July 2014, at 17:21.
- This page has been accessed 7,272 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki