Pawnee County, KansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Pawnee County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Pawnee County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 26, 1867|
|Address|| Pawnee County Courthouse|
715 Broadway Street
Larned, Kansas 67550-3098
Pawnee County Courthouse
Larned, KS 67550
Clerk District Court has marriage records from 1873,
divorce, probate, court and naturalization records
Register of Deeds has land records.
City Clerk has birth and death records and death records 1897-1911
and burial records from 1886, census taken in 1886.  County Clerk
Vital Records/Records of Pawnee County
- Ash Valley
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Pawnee County, Kansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
- Pawnee County Organization Records
- Pawnee County Section of William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas
- Kansas Historical Society Kansapedia for Pawnee County
- Souvenir of Larned and Pawnee County, Kansas
Issued by the "Larned Business Men's Association" about 1908. Collection of photos and brief historical sketches.
- Wichita State University Libraries Images of Larned
- History of Browns Grove & Burdett Kansas, 1876-1976
List of names in this out-of-print book (lookups available)
- Burdett High School Class of 1937
Pictures with names.
- Map from Cutler's History of the State of Kansas
- Map from Kansas State Board of Agriculture First Biennial Report, 1878
- Plat Book of Pawnee County, Kansas, 1902
- Atlas and Plat Book of Pawnee County, Kansas, 1916
- Township Map of 1887 Pawnee County, Kansas with enlarged views of each township (My Genealogy Hound)
- Pawnee County 1883 List of Pensioners on the Roll
- Pawnee County World War II casualties
- Pawnee County was not organized until after the Civil War.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pawnee County, Kansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Pawnee and click Probate records.
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
Societies and Libraries
- Kansas Historical Society
Online documents, images, publications, etc. for Pawnee County
- Jordaan Memorial Library, Larned: Library holdings can be searched in Pathfinder Central. The library may have cataloged unique items related to genealogy and local history, in addition to published works for this area.
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Genealogy Trails/Kansas Trails Pawnee County page
- KSGenWeb/Pawnee County
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Pawnee County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pawnee County, Kansas page 254, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 25 September 2014, at 14:33.
- This page has been accessed 4,532 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page