Peculiar Court of Halton ManorEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the Lancashire Probate Records page.
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed then to "Records" section (see below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Lancashire Record Office, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf, citing information obtained from the index[es]. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. You can also visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes (see the Family History Library's cataloged entries providing the microfilms so you can have them circulated to the center near you for searching the wills). The information obtained from the index[es] will help you more quickly search the wills and admons which can also be circulated on microfilm via any family history .
Surviving wills and admons to the Manor Court of Halton have been indexed with the following ones:
The 1891 published work, "Lancashire and Cheshire Record Society" volume 23 contains a portion of the original wills and administrations, from 1615-1792 and is available online at Google Books.
This website is fantastic for Probate Records of Halton Manor 1615-1790
Printed and Published Indexes
Lancashire and Cheshire Record Society vols 23 - 1615- 1792; and 66 - 1793-1812
Original Handwritten Indexes
Indexes to this special or peculiar court jurisdiction exist for the years 1615-1814. Additionally, the wills and administrations themselves have been alpha-arranged.
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library
1. The Library has volume numbers 23 and 66 of the Lancashire and Cheshire Record Society publications. These volumes cover not only the Indexes to the Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Amounderness, but also the original wills and administrations for the Court of the Peculiar of Halton Manor are Indexed including the wills and administrations from 1615-1815.
2. The original wills and administrations themselves which have been microfilmed, are arranged mostly alphabetically.
3. Another separate index has been created for these records covering the years 1615-1814 and are microfilmed.
Lancashire Record Office
Lancashire PR1 2RE UK
Tel: +44(0)1772 533039
Fax: +44(0) 1772 533050
This court's jurisdiction applies the parish of Halton in the Diocese of Chester. The records for this court include as follows:
Register of Copy Wills 1743-1806
Family History Library Records
The Court of the Manor of Halton dealt with wills for mostly those inhabitants associated with the Manor of the Halton Hall estate lying within the bounds of the parish. When a search of this courts’ probate records fails to provide the desired probate record, be sure to search the Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Amounderness as well.
- This page was last modified on 16 November 2011, at 16:12.
- This page has been accessed 1,340 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More