Pennsylvania GazetteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Several guides to place names in Pennsylvania have been published. Three of the most helpful are:
- Day, Sherman. Historical Collections of the State of Pennsylvania: Containing a Copious Selection of the Most Interesting Facts, Traditions, Biographical Sketches, Anecdotes, etc., Relating to its History and Antiquities, Both General and Local, with Topographical Descriptions of Every County and all the Larger Towns in the State. (Philadelphia, PA : G. W. Gorton, [1843?] (New Haven, Ct.: Durrie and Peck ). FHL book 974.8 H2d and FHL film 824413 item 1.
- Espenschade, Abraham H. Pennsylvania Place Names. 1925. Reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing, 1970. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online. FHL book 974.8 E5e and FHL film 1425647 item 5.
- Gordon, Thomas F. A Gazetteer of the State of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, PA: T. Belknap, 1832. FHL book 974.8 E5g, FHL film 543662 item 5 and FHL fiche 6053251
A recent guide is Pennsylvania Gazetteer(Wilmington, Delaware: American Historical Publications, 1989; Family History Library book FHL book 974.8 E5p For some localities it includes important historical details.
- This page was last modified on 22 August 2012, at 22:22.
- This page has been accessed 1,454 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More