Perranzabuloe, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Perranzabuloe, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Perranzabuloe Church Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||Truro PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1619|
|Probate Court||A Peculiar of the Court of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
PERRANZABULOE, or Perran-in-the-Sand (St. Peran), a parish, in the union of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Pyder and of the county of Cornwall, 7 miles (W. N. W.) from St. Michael. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Perranzabuloe St Pirren is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.Other places in the parish include: Bolingey, Bollingey, Perranporth, and Rose.
The parish's church town is Perranzabuloe hamlet but the largest settlement in the parish is Perranporth. Other settlements include Bolingey, Callestock, Goonhaven, Mellingy, Mount, Penhallow, Perrancoombe, and Perranwell.
The name of the parish derives from the medieval Latin Perranus in Sabulo meaning Piran in the sand. It refers to Saint Piran (the patron saint of Cornwall) who founded an oratory church in the seventh century near the coast north of Perranporth.
In medieval times the parish of Perranzabuloe was a peculiar of Exeter Cathedral. Perranzabuloe at that time exercised ecclesiastic control of St Agnes: the latter's church was a chapelry of Perranzabuloe. In 1846 St Agnes became a separate ecclesiastical parish.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Perranzabuloe, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Perranzabuloe, Cornwall Online Parish Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 184
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Perranzabuloe.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241272.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Perranzabuloe in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 555-558. Date accessed: 20 March 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 21 November 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 3 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 30 November 2014, at 06:22.
- This page has been accessed 1,683 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More