Perry County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Perry County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Perry County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||3 February, 1820|
|County Seat||New Augusta|
|Address|| Perry County Courthouse|
PO Box 198
New Augusta, Ms 39462
Perry County Courthouse]
Perry County Courthouse
PO Box 198
New Augusta, Ms 39462
Clerk Chancery Court has divorce, probate, court and land records from 1878. Clerk Circuit Court has marriage records from 1877. 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1877--Some records were lost. For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Perry County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Perry County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Maps of Mississippi (1785-1918)
- Family Maps of Perry County, Mississippi (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Men from Perry County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Perry County.
- - 7th Battalion, Mississippi Infantry
- Company B - Beauregard Defenders
- - 9th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company D - Stevens’ Company
- - 17th Battalion, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company F - Stevens’ Company
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Perry County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1877-1924 - Perry County Marriage Books 1-8 Index 1877-1924 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Perry County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Perry County, Mississippi page 382, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f2/Igimississippip.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:21.
- This page has been accessed 4,880 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki