Peru, Lambayeque Civil Registration (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Peru, Lambayeque, Civil Registration, 1873-1998 .
Title in the Language of the Records
Registro Civil de Lambayeque, Peru
This Collection will include records from 1873 to 1998.
This collection consists of digital images of original civil registration records of births, marriages, and deaths from the department of Lambayeque in Peru.
The registration of births, marriages, and deaths in Peru documents the civil status of the residents.
Earlier records are all handwritten in a narrative format. The later records are also handwritten but on a printed format. The text of the records is in Spanish. Some of their text may also vary slightly.
Before the government instituted civil registration in Peru, the Catholic Church was the only institution tracking the births, marriages, and deaths of the population. In 1852, during the Republican Era, the government instituted civil registration. This was first done by political authorities, such as prefecture, subprefecture, and state. In 1856, this responsibility was given to municipalities. Currently, civil registration is in the hands of RENIEC, which delegates the registration process to municipal registrars.
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Information found in birth records include:
- Date and place of registration
- Child's name and gender
- Child's date and place of birth
- Father's name, age, occupation and origin
- Mother's maiden name, age, occupation and origin
Information found in marriage records include:
- Date and place of the registration
- Groom's name and age
- Groom's occupation, origin and residence
- Names of groom's parents, their origin and residence
- Bride's name and age
- Bride's origin and residence
- Names of bride's parents, their origin and residence
- Names of witnesses, their age(s), civil status and residence
Information found in death records include:
- Time, date, and place of registration
- Name, age and gender of deceased
- Race, civil status, and occupation of deceased
- Nationality and origin of deceased
- Parents' names
- Declarant's name, age, civil status, occupation, origin and residence
- Names of witnesses, their age(s), origin and residence
How to Use the Record
To search this collection:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the appropriate "Province"
⇒Select the appropriate "District or Municipality"
⇒Select the appropriate "Record Type and Years" which takes you to the images.
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
For genealogical research, the birth, marriage, and death records contain important information for at least two and sometimes three generations of ancestors in one document.
When browsing this collection it is helpful to know the following:
- The place where the event occurred
- The name and surname of the person
- The approximate date of the event
- The name of the parents or spouse
If you do not find your ancestors in this collection, try looking in the Peru Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) wiki article.
For Help Reading These Records
These records are in Spanish. For help reading the records, see the following wiki articles:
|FHL Place Peru, Lambayeque items or FHL Keyword Peru, Lambayeque items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Peru Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- “Peru, Lambayeque, Civil Registration, 1873-1998.” Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Archivo Regional de Lambayeque.
- This page was last modified on 17 November 2014, at 21:57.
- This page has been accessed 2,453 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page