Pettis County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Pettis County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pettis County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 26, 1833|
|Address|| Pettis County Courthouse|
415 S Ohio Avenue
Sedalia, MO 65301; Phone 660.826.5395
Pettis County Website
Recorder Deeds has marriage and land records from 1833;
Probate Court has probate records from 1833; Clerk Circuit
has court records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
- Portrait and biographical record of Johnson and Pettis Counties, Missouri : containing portraits and biographical sketches of p at Ancestry.com ($)
- Houstonia Cemetery, Houstonia BillionGraves
- Prairie Hill Cemetery, La Monte BillionGraves
- Pettis County, Missouri Cemetery Records, Vol. 1 at Ancestry.com ($)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
St. John's, Bahner
- 1846-1876 - St. John's, Bahner, Baptism Index 1846-1876. Batch C511881 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1851-1885 - St. John's, Bahner, Marriage Index 1851-1885. Batch M511881 at FamilySearch - free.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- St. Louis
- St. Louis N.
- St. Louis S.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Pettis County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Demuth's The History of Pettis County, Missouri... (1882) is available on Google Books.a
- Maps of Missouri (1804-1889)
- Family Maps of Pettis County, Missouri (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of Pettis County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Pettis County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1904 Pettis County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
- - 40th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B:- 33rd Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company A
:- 5th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company D
:- 5th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
:- 7th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company A
:- 7th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company B
:- 7th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company C
:- 7th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company D
:- 7th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company E
:- 7th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company F
:- 7th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company H
:- 40th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
:- 40th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company C
:- 40th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company D
:- 40th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
:- 40th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
:- 40th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company H
:- 6th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company C
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pettis County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Sedalia newspapers from the late 1800's and early 1900's that covered local news on Pettis County residents as well as residents from surrounding counties.
- Sedalia Democrat, The (Sedalia, Missouri) at Ancestry.com ($)
- Sedalia Daily Democrat (Sedalia, Missouri) at Ancestry.com ($)
- Daily Democrat (Sedalia, Missouri) at Ancestry.com ($)
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
- Pettis County, Missouri: Index to the General Probate Index, 1833-1875 at Ancestry.com ($)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1865-1884 - Pettis County Marriage Index 1865-1884. Batch M515581 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1884-1885 - Pettis County Marriage Index 1884-1885. Batch M515582 at FamilySearch - free.
- Pettis County, Missouri, Marriages, performed in 1891, listed in the Sedalia Weekly Bazoo Newspaper.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|genealogytrails.com||Free||data submitted by individuals|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Pettis County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Pettis County, MO Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Pettis County Message Board|
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pettis County, Missouri. Page 404 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 10 July 2014, at 15:22.
- This page has been accessed 7,397 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki