Phillack, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Phillack, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Phillack church Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||Redruth PLU|
|Parish registers: 1560|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1614|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
PHILLACK (St. Felix), a parish, in the union of Redruth, E. division of the hundred of Penwith, W. division of Cornwall, 9 miles (W. by S.) from Redruth, There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Phillack Cornish: Sen Felek) St Felicitas is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. Gwithian was a chapelry of Phillack. Other places in the parish include: Foundry, Guilford, Hayle, Logans, Venton League, and Angarrack.
There is some dispute over the origins of the name. In the 17th century, Phillack was believed to refer to the Irish Saint Felicitas who is said to have founded Phillack church in the 6th century. However, a 10th century Vatican codex mentions a Saint Felec of Cornwall who is believed to have lived about the same time and may be dedicatee of the parish church
The church was originally the parish church also of Hayle: it was built in the 15th century and rebuilt in 1856 by William White but the tower is original.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Phillack, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Phillack, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 186
Images of Hayle Wesleyan Methodist registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: IHY 399 (Baptisms) IHY 203
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish. John Smith also has http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~phillack/ website for Phillack and Hayle St Elwyn
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241265.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Phillack in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 564-567. Date accessed: 20 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 3 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Database Coverage,' Cornwall Parish Register Index, accessed 1 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 15 August 2014, at 15:55.
- This page has been accessed 1,587 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki