Pike County, Arkansas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Pike County, Arkansas ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pike County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||November 1, 1833|
|Address|| Pike County Courthouse|
PO Box 219
Murfreesboro, AR 71958
Government and Related Websites
- PublicRecords.com (unofficial site) Provides links to County officials and public records.
County seat: Murfreesboro 
For animated maps illustrating Arkansas county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Arkansas County Boundary Maps" (1813-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Arkansas counties see: Arkansas Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog'
from state and national resources
in Pike County
(then click to names of people)
(Often more complete)
More cemetery lists
Land and Property
Emphasis for this timeline is on events that affected migration, records, or record-keeping. Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Arkansas County - The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture 
- Maps of Arkansas (1813-1925)
- Family Maps of Pike County, Arkansas Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Arkansas, Pike County on page 191.]
Regiments. Service men in Pike County, Arkansas Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pike County, Arkansas Genealogy:
- - 16th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 33rd Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate)
- - 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union), Companies C, I, and M
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pike County, Arkansas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch. Do a Pike County, Arkansas Genealogy Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see, FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Fayetteville Daily Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Daily Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Northwest Arkansas Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Courier Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Probate Records 1895-1918 Pike County portion of the collection: Arkansas Probate Records, 1817-1979: Arkansas Probate Records, 1817-1979 FamilySearch Historical Collections (Free, browse images)
- Includes Probate records 1895-1908; Wills 1895-1918.
See also How to order Arkansas Vital Records
- 1895-1954 - Pike County Marriage Books A-K Index 1895-1954 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1895-1925 - Pike County Marriage Books A-B, E-F Index 1895-1925 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch Catalog||Select topics. For towns, click here.|
|WorldCat||Click an item for libraries near you. For more information, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||Located in Indiana, they are heavily involved in digitizing much of their collection.|
|Arkansas History Commission Select the county||Arkansas state agency involved in organizing, digitizing, and maintaining the records of state and local history.|
Family History Centers
http://www.pcahs.org/ The Pike County Archives and History Society is located in the new Archives offices at 112 N. Washington Avenue Murfreesboro, Arkansas Phone: 870-285-9157 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|ARGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
|genealogy.com||Pike County, AR Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Pike County Message Board|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 69.
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry Pub., 2004), 65-67. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Third Arkansas Union Cavalry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1987), p. 33-92. FHL book 976.7 M28dc
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 18 March 2015, at 17:09.
- This page has been accessed 8,255 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More