Piscataquis County, MaineEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Piscataquis County Maine genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Piscataquis County, Maine|
Location in the state of Maine
|Founded||March 23, 1838|
|Address|| Piscataquis County Courthouse|
51 E. Main Street
Dover-Foxcroft, ME 04426
Piscataquis County Website
Town clerks have birth, marriage and death records. Clerk of the Superior Court has divorce and court records. Probate Court has probate records. Register of Deeds has land records.
Places / Localities
Unorganized territories. NWP=North of Waldo Patent; WELS=West of the Easterly Line of the State. For further details see Maine townships.
Communities ▪ Guilford ▪ Milo
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Maine denominations, view the Maine Church Records wiki page.
Local histories are available for Piscataquis County, Maine. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Maine Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Maine Land and Property for additional information about early Maine land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Regiments. Service men in Piscataquis County, Maine served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Piscataquis County, Maine:
- - 2nd Regiment, Maine Infantry , Company D
Finding More Maine Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Piscataquis County, Maine newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records for Washington County, Maine can be found at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1930294
Maine tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
In Maine, vital records are kept by town clerks or selectmen. Although some towns have existed since the 1650s, most vital records date from about 1700. The vital statistics are often arranged by family. For more information, see the Wiki page for the town and the Wiki page, Maine Vital Records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Piscataquis County MEGenWeb Project, an member of The MEGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Piscataquis County
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Piscataquis County (backup site)
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Piscataquis County
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 181, and 305. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Before an extinct town was discontinued, it created official town records of interest to genealogists. For preservation these records were usually turned over to a nearby functioning town in the same county.
- ↑ Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 111. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 23:37.
- This page has been accessed 6,346 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki