Plan a Research Trip to WalesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Wales Planing a Research Trip
Travel to Wales
1. It is possible to travel directly to Wales by air if you intend to visit the Cardiff area in the south.
2. How do I get from London to Aberystwyth by train and bus?
3. Can I get a rental car on the weekend when I arrive in one of the train or bus stations in Wales?
Travel while in Wales
Consider travel by car, bus and train. It is not always convenient to visit smaller towns, villages or farms by bus or train. Travel from east to west in both the north and south of the country is relatively simple, but if you plan to go to central Wales plan extra time for the beautiful winding roads and slow traffic and sheep! Helpful travel planning is available at TravelineCymru.
What to do while in Wales
- Official Wales Tourism site
- Visit the National History Museum in Cardiff or one of its many other sites.
- Every year in July The International Musical Eisteddfod is held in Llangollen.
- Every year in August The National Eisteddfod is held.
- Every year, in both July and December, The Royal Welsh Show is held at Llanelwedd.
- If possible, plan for at least two days at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth. Prepare for a trip to the National Library of Wales so that you spend your time there efficiently. The more time you spend in preparation, the better your visit will be.
- Consider making electronic copies and saving the new information on a website or other alternate source.
- Visit an Archive or Library
- The National Library in Aberystwyth.
- The Glamorgan Record Office in Cardiff (currently under reconstruction).
- The Ceredigion Archive in Aberystwyth.
- The Wrexham Archive
LDS Family History Centres in Wales
Heol y Deri
Phone (UK): 029 - 2062 5342; (International) 00 44 - 29 - 2062 5342
Hours: Wed 10am-4pm; Wed & Thu 7pm-9pm.
Phone: (UK) 01633 - 483856; (International) 00 44 - 1633 - 483856
Phone: (UK) 01685 - 722455; (International) 00 44 - 1685 722455
Hours: Tue 10am-1pm; Tue-Wed 2pm-5pm; Fri 2.30pm-5pm; Tue, Thu, Fri 6.30pm-9pm; Wed 7pm-9pm
Phone: (UK) 01239 - 711472; (International) 00 44 - 1239 - 711472
Hours: Wed 10am-1pm; Tue, Wed 6.30pm-9pm
Phone: (UK) 01792 - 585792; (International) 00 44 - 1792 - 585792
Hours: Tue 9.30am-3.30pm; Wed 6.30pm-9pm.
Herbert Jennings Avenue
Phone: (UK) 01978 - 358997 (International) 00 44 - 1978 - 358997
Note: These are not mailing addresses. Due to limited staff, Family History Centres are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
Local History or Society Centres
- The Aberkenfig Resource Centre of the Glamorgan Family History Society in Bridgend.
- Merthyr Tydfil Town Library.
- The Clwyd Family History Society Resource Centre in Cefn Mawr, Wrexham.
After you return home
- Review the information you obtained and record it in an appropriate place.
- This page was last modified on 2 December 2012, at 15:54.
- This page has been accessed 1,568 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More