Platting LandEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Drawing (platting) the boundaries of a land parcel can offer additional insights to the land record. The term “platting” generally refers to property that is described in metes and bounds. The term “graphing” is more applicable to rectangular survey (township and range).
Determine if the same amount of land was sold as was purchased. If not, this is a clue as to other records of acquisition or subdivision.
- Distinguish same name individuals in the same county.
- Identify common neighbors—which might lead to other records to consider.
Commercial platting software
Deed-Chek by Emerald Data, Inc.
DeedMapper by Direct Line Software
Deed Plotter by Greenbrier Graphics
LANDcalc by COMPUneering, Inc.
Map Draw by Informatik, Inc.
Muncy's Plat Pronto by B.W. Muncy, Inc.
Platting State Lands on Maps
- Online software to plat State Land descriptions is at www.genealogytools.net/deeds
- An explanation, “Land Platting Made Easy” is at http://genealogy.about.com/od/land_records/ss/land_platting.htm
- Another explanation, “Metes, Bounds & Meanders”, is at http://genealogy.about.com/cs/land/a/metes_bounds.htm
- Definitions of many words used for metes and bounds surveying is at http://genealogy.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-metesandbounds.htm
For additional information
E. Wade Hone, Land and Property Research in the United States (Salt Lake City, Utah: Ancestry, Inc., 1997), has a section on platting metes and bounds (pages 89-96) and a section on graphing township, range, and section (pages 173-176).
Sandra Hargreaves Luebking, “Land Records,” in Loretto Dennis Szucs and Sandra Hargreaves Luebking, eds. The Source: A Guidebook to American Genealogy, 3rd ed. (Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2006), includes a sidebar, "Creating a Plat," by Mary McCampbell Bell, CG, p. 438.
- This page was last modified on 14 September 2011, at 00:42.
- This page has been accessed 4,222 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More