Plumstead, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Plumstead, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Erpingham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1551|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
PLUMSTEAD (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Erpingham, hundred of North Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 4½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Holt. 
Plumstead St Michael (near Holt) is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
Plumstead has an entry in the Domesday Book of 1085. In the great book Plumstead is recorded by the names Plumestead. The main landholder was William de Warenne
The parish church of Saint Michael was once much larger than it is today. On the south side of the building the low aisle has been demolished, and the clerestory filled in.. The church's most notable feature is its collection of medieval and continental glass which came from Catton Hall, Norwich, in 1952. There are some 15th century figures in the east window and 16th century glass in the south windows. The chancel is c.1300 and the tower late 14th century.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Erpingham 1837-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
- The Register Office, 18 Kings Arms Street, North Walsham, NR28 9JX.
Tel/Fax: 01692 406220. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Plumstead, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Plumstead, Norfolk Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 412
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438853.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Plumstead on GenUKI
- Plumstead St Michael on A Church Near You
- British History Online
- Church of St Michael on British Listed Buildings
- Plumstead on Norfolk Churches
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 578-586. Date accessed: 06 May 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- This page was last modified on 4 November 2014, at 22:34.
- This page has been accessed 1,410 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More