Pointe Coupee Parish, LouisianaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Pointe Coupee Parish Louisiana ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||April 10, 1805|
|County Seat||New Roads|
|Address|| 201 East Main Street|
New Roads, LA 70760
Pointe Coupee Parish Courthouse
160 E Main Street
New Roads, LA 70760
Clerk Court has marriage records from 1735,
divorce records from 1800, probate, court
and land records from 1780.
1805--Pointe Coupee Parish was created 10 April 1805 as an original parish.
Parish seat: New Roads 
For animated maps illustrating Louisiana Parish boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Louisiana Parish Boundary Maps" (1805-1990) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Louisiana Parishes see: Louisiana Parishes with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
- LA Tombstone Transcription Project ~ partial records and photos ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Interment.net ~ LA cemetery records by county
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
- FindaGrave.com ~ cemetery records with search by cemetery, by surname
|Pointe Coupee Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Louisiana denominations, view the Louisiana Church Records wiki page.
- 1733-1769 - Pointe Coupee Parish Baptism Index 1733-1769. Batch C584291 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1744-1769 - Pointe Coupee Parish Marriage Index 1744-1769. Batch M584291 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Louisiana Land and Property for additional information about early Louisiana land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse where records are also currently housed.
Local histories are available for Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Louisiana Local Histories. Louisiana Museums
Regiments. Service men in Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana:
- - 1st Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company I
- - 2nd Regiment, Louisiana Cavalry (Confederate), Company K
- - 6th Field Battery, Louisiana Light Artillery (Grosse Tete Flying Artillery)(Confederate)
- - Pointe Coupee Artillery, Louisiana (Confederate), Companies A and C
- - Siege Train Battalion, Louisiana Artillery (Confederate), Company D
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Pointe Coupeé Parish.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Louisiana.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Coupee+parish+Louisiana+Newspapers&qt=results_page WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Do a Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Probate records before 1845 were kept in probate courts. Since 1845, they have been kept by the Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana clerk of the district court. Many of the probate records are included in the notarial records with the deeds and mortgages. In some parishes they are known as “succession” records.
See the Wiki page Louisiana Probate Records for more information about probate records in Louisiana.
Content: Probate records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Louisiana tax records can be used in place of missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Louisiana Taxation.
Louisiana statewide registration of birth and death records began in 1911. Births and deaths are kept by the Louisiana Vital Records Registry. Marriages were recorded by each parish, and the records are at the parish clerk of court office. See also How to order Louisiana Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Louisiana Vital Records for more information on getting Louisiana records.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Pointe Coupee Parish, LA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Louisiana Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- LAGenWeb - Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb ~ Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Pointe Coupee Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed., Pointe Coupee, Louisiana p 292 (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "Pointe Coupee Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22077.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- ↑ http://oseda.missouri.edu/mscdc/census/us/trend/counties/S22LA/C22077
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/c2/Igilouisiana.pdf.
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 8 August, 2012)
- This page was last modified on 10 November 2014, at 22:06.
- This page has been accessed 6,605 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page