Polk County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Polk County, Iowa ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Polk County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 13, 1846|
|County Seat||Des Moines|
1846--Polk County was created 13 January 1846 from unorganized territory. County seat: Des Moines
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- Allen Township
- Bloomfield Township
- Clay Township
- Crocker Township
- Des Moines
- Des Moines Township
- Jefferson Township
- Pleasant Grove
- Valley Junction
- West Des Moines
- Portrait and biographical album of Polk County, Iowa : containing full page portraits and biographical sketches of prominent an at Ancestry.com ($)
- I have photos of all headstones in the Oralabor Cemetery in Ankeny, Polk County, Iowa as of 2008. If you need one looked up please e-mail me at:E-Mail Me Please provide a surname, christian name and DOD if you have it.
- Glendale Cemetery, Des Moines BillionGraves
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Des Moines
Fold3.com ($) has Des Moines City Directories 1881-1913 (2 yrs. missing) and miscellaneous years going back to 1866 available online.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Polk County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- Annals of Polk County, Iowa : and city of Des Moines at Ancestry.com $
- Centennial history of Polk County, Iowa. By J. M. Dixon. Des Moines : State Register, 1876. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online, Internet Archive, HathiTrust; At various libraries (WorldCat)Centennial history of Polk County, Iowa at Ancestry.com $
- Historical Polk County ... By Writers' Program (Iowa). [S.l. : s.n., 1940?]. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- The history of Polk County, Iowa : containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, etc.. Des Moines, Ia. : Union Historical Co., 1880. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online, Internet Archive, Google Books; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Des Moines, the pioneer of municipal progress and reform of the middle West : together with the history of Polk County, Iowa, the largest, most populous and most prosperous county in the state of Iowa. By Johnson Brigham. Chicago, Illinois : S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1911. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online, HathiTrust, Google Books; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Pioneers of Polk County, Iowa, and reminiscences of early days. By Lorenzo F. Andrews. Des Moines [Iowa] : Baker-Trisler Co., 1908. Online at: Vol. 1 FamilySearch Books Online, Internet Archive, Vol. 2 FamilySearch Books Online, Internet Archive; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Resources and industries of Des Moines and Polk County, Iowa : showing the trade and commerce, railroads, business, manufacturing, mining interests, etc., of Iowa's capital and metropolis, the great railroad center of the Northwest, also containing short sketches of the towns of Polk County. By Joseph P.Bushnell. Des Moines, Iowa : J.P. Bushnell, 1885. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online.
- Roster of the Ohiowa Association : living in Polk county and Ohioans and their descendants who are eligible to membership. By John L. Crawford. [s.l.] : The Association, 1908. Online at: FamilySearch Books Online; At various libraries (WorldCat).
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Iowa
- View historic Polk County, Iowa maps in the David Rumsey Map Collection.
- Township Map of 1875 Polk County, Iowa with enlarged views of each township (My Genealogy Hound)
Regiments. Service men in Polk County, Iowa served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Polk County, Iowa:
- - 2nd Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company D
- - 4th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
- - 10th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Companies A and K
- - 13th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
- - 15th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company B
- - 16th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
- - 17th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Companies B and K
- - 18th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company I
- - 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Companies A, B, C and E
- - 47th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company F
- - 10th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company A
:- 10th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
:- 13th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
:- 15th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company B
:- 16th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
:- 17th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company B
:- 17th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
:- 18th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company I
:- 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company A
:- 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company B
:- 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company C
:- 23rd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
:- 2nd Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company D
:- 2nd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company D
:- 47th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company F
:- 4th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Iowa. District Court (Polk County). Naturalization Records, 1907–1927. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1977. FHL films 1015201–17 item 2.
- Iowa. District Court. (Polk County). Index to Naturalization, 1852–1884. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1977. FHL film 1015217 item 1.
- Altoona Public Library Archives, Polk County (1876-2000)
- Johnston Historical Society Archive, Polk County (1970-2007)
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Des Moines newspapers that covered local news on Polk County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
- Roland Historical Society Archives, Story County (1895-1975)
- Warren County Newspapers (1855-Present)
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
Societies and Libraries
See also a List of Iowa Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
- Des Moines Iowa Family History Center 3301 Ashworth Rd., West Des Moines, IA 50265 United States Location Map
Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
Sites with online indexes or images of records State Historical Society of Iowa Free list and links to data and "hard copy" material from "polk county" placed in search box IAGenWeb Project Free Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions USGenWeb Archives Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions   FamilySearch Free Births, 1880-1935; Deaths 1880-1992; Marriages, 1838-1934; all indexes FamilySearch Free Iowa, Polk County Probate Records, 1914-1924; browse images Sites that search for links pertaining to Polk County, Iowa RootsWeb Resources Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Linkpendium Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) CyndisList Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) StateofUS.com Free family history resources and government records Major catalogs for hard copy collections of Polk County, Iowa
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
FamilySearch Catalog Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box. WorldCat To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog. Allen County Public Library located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing. See also local libraries and Iowa Archives and Libraries Social networking sites pertaining to Polk County, Iowa GeneaBloggers enter "Iowa" in search box to see list and links to Iowa blogs Google+ list of groups from "iowa genealogy" search list of groups from "Iowa Genealogy" search genealogy.com Polk County, IA Genealogy Forum ancestry.com Polk County Message Board
- This page was last modified on 2 December 2014, at 23:41.
- This page has been accessed 6,734 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page