Portage County, Wisconsin GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Portage County Wisconsin ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Portage County, Wisconsin|
Location of Wisconsin in the U.S.
|Founded||December 7, 1842|
|County Seat||Stevens Point|
|Address|| Portage County Courthouse|
Stevens Point, WI 54481
For animated maps illustrating Wisconsin County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Wisconsin County Boundary Maps" (1790-1961) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Wisconsin Counties see: Wisconsin Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
Guyant Collection of Tombstone Inscriptions is on microfilm at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. This collection includes tombstone inscriptions copied between 1970 and 1981 by Wayne and Alta Guyant in cemeteries in seventeen Wisconsin counties, and clipped newspaper obituaries and other related items. The records represent every known cemetery in Florence, Langlade, Portage, Waupaca, and Waushara counties and many in Adams, Barron, Forest, Green Lake, Juneau, Lincoln, Marquette, Oneida, Outagamie, Shawano, Winnebago, and Wood counties.
1855 Wisconsin State Census— Free searchable index to the 1855 Wisconsin State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search This census includes name of head of family, individuals in the household by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
1885 Wisconsin State Census— Free searchable index to the 1885 Wisconsin State Census can be viewed on the FamilySearch Record Search This census includes name of head of family, individuals in the household by sex and race, number of deaf and dumb, blind, insane and foreign born.
Church History and Records
Information about local churches (history and records) can be found on the Stevens Point Area Genealogical Society's website.
- Records of Peace Lutheran Church, Amherst, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The surviving early probate files have been indexed and are on the Stevens Point Area Genealogical Society's website. Also indexed are the Circuit Court Criminal Case Files Index 1849-1919 and the Circuit Court Civil Case Files Defendant Index 1845-1919
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Old Antique Atlases & Maps of Wisconsin
- Family Maps of Portage County, Wisconsin (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Portage County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Portage County.
- - 1st Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company B
- - 3rd Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry, Company H
- - 5th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry Reorganized, Companies D and F
- - 7th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company G
- - 14th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry, Company B
Naturalization and Citizenship
Naturalization Records for Portage County have been indexed and the index is available on the Stevens Point Area Genealogical Society's website.
A complete listing of all Portage County newspapers can be found on the Stevens Point Area Genealogical Society's website.
The Portage County Obituary Index is now a part of the Central Wisconsin Genealogy Index . Full text obituaries from The Wisconsin Pinery (1853-1890) and The Plover Times (1866-1881) can be found on the Stevens Point Area Genealogical Society's website. These are not indexed in the Obituary Index.
Archives, Libraries and Museums
List of genealogical resources available at the Portage County Public Library
The Portage County Courthouse is located at 1516 Church Street, Stevens Point, WI 54481. The Register of Deeds office, which houses birth, death, and marriage records, as well as land records is open for genealogical research during the following days and times:
Monday - Thursday, 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Closed for research on Fridays and from 11:30 - 1:00.
Family History Centers
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- 1826 - 1926 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings, 1826-1926 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Birth Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1826 - 1908 Wisconsin, Births and Christenings Index, 1826-1908 at Ancestry.com — index $
- Marriage Records Indexed
- 1836 - 1930 Wisconsin, Marriages, 1836-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin, Marriage Index, 1973-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1973 - 1997 Wisconsin Marriages, 1973-1997 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1867 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Records, 1867-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1835 - 1968 Wisconsin, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1968 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1820 - 1907 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1820-1907 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1959 - 1997 Wisconsin, Death Index, 1959-1997 at FamilySearch.org — index
- Portage County, WI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Wisconsin Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 20 July 2015, at 04:13.
- This page has been accessed 9,319 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News