Portbury, SomersetEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Portbury, Somerset ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Portbury St Mary Church Somerset
|Poor Law Union||Bedminster PLU|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1599|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Bath and Wells (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Somerset Record Office|
PORTBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bedminster, hundred of Portbury, E. division of Somerset, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Bristol, containing the tythings of Abbot's, Caswell, Clapton's Wick, Court, Cross, Failand, Hamgreen, Happerton, Honor, Peter's, Sheepway, Watchhouse, and Woolcombe.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Portbury, Somerset parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|MARR = Somerset Marriages (findmypast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|SOPC = Somerset Online Parish Clerks - free|
|PORTBURY PARISH Online Records|
||1637, 1718-1895|| |
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474603.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Somerset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 593-596. Date accessed and adapted: 17 April 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 16 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Somerset Marriages', findmypast (WayBack Machine), accessed 30 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 17 October 2013.
- ↑ Somerset Online Parish Clerks Genealogy, accessed 22 October 2013.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:58.
- This page has been accessed 1,361 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page