Portugal Names, PersonalEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Surname Customs for Wives and Children
Between 1910 and 1960 the customs regarding surnames for wives and children went through a transition.
- Before 1910 it was the custom for a wife to retain her maiden surname throughout her life.
- Before 1910 some children were given their father's surname, some were given their mother's surname, some were given a double surname of both the father and the mother and some children were given a surname associated with neither the father or the mother.
A large family would topically exemplify all of these options.
- From 1960 to the present it has been the almost universal custom for a wife to use her husband's surname as her own.
- From 1960 to the present it has been the custom for children to be given their father's surname.
- This page was last modified on 14 June 2014, at 19:34.
- This page has been accessed 1,478 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki