Portugal Names, PersonalEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Surname Customs for Wives and Children
Between 1910 and 1960 the customs regarding surnames for wives and children went through a transition.
- Before 1910 it was the custom for a wife to retain her maiden surname throughout her life.
- Before 1910 some children were given their father's surname, some were given their mother's surname, some were given a double surname of both the father and the mother and some children were given a surname associated with neither the father or the mother.
A large family would topically exemplify all of these options.
- From 1960 to the present it has been the almost universal custom for a wife to use her husband's surname as her own.
- From 1960 to the present it has been the custom for children to be given their father's surname.
- This page was last modified on 9 May 2012, at 00:07.
- This page has been accessed 1,313 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback