Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Address|| Pottawatomie County Courthouse|
325 N. Broadway Street
Shawnee, Oklahoma 74801
1891--Pottawatomie County was created in 1891. It was an original county from (Pottawatomie-Shawnee Lands).
County seat: Shawnee 
For tips on accessing Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma Genealogy census records online, see: Oklahoma Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Oklahoma denominations, view the Oklahoma Church Records Wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Oklahoma Land and Property for additional information about early Oklahoma land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma Genealogy. County and town histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Oklahoma Local Histories.
Muskogee and Northeastern Oklahoma: including the counties of Muskogee, McIntosh, Wagoner, Cherokee, Sequoyah, Adair, Delaware, Mayes, Rogers, Washington, Nowata, Craig, and Ottawa. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1922
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Ada newspapers that may have included Pottawatomie County residents. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
Oklahoma tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Shawnee Oklahoma Family History Center 1501 E Independence Shawnee, Pottawatomie CO. OK 74804-4241 United States Location Map
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county. *FamilySearch Catalog
Pott County Genealogy Society has lots of indexes for marriages, probate, wills, cemeteries, obits, etc. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~okpcgc/index.html
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma. Page 562 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This Oklahoma-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 6 April 2015, at 16:36.
- This page has been accessed 5,808 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More