Prairie County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Prairie County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Prairie County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||November 25, 1846|
|County Seat||Des Arc|
|Address|| Prairie County Courthouse|
PO Box 278;
Des Arc, AR 72040-0278
Prairie County Courthouse
PO Box 278;
Des Arc, AR 72040-0278
County Clerk in Devalls, Bluff, Arkansas has marriage, divorce, probate, court and land records from 1885,
naturalization records 1907-1912 and military discharge records from 1917
- 1846--Prairie County was created 25 November 1846 from Pulaski and Monroe Counties. County seat: Des Arc
- History of Prairie County Marilyn Sickel Prairie Co. ARGenweb
For animated maps illustrating Arkansas county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Arkansas County Boundary Maps" (1813-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Arkansas counties see: Arkansas Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
(Most click to names of people)
(Often more complete)
More cemetery lists
- Index to Prairie County Burials this also has links to cemetery histories and listing.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Prairie County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
Emphasis for this timeline is on events that affected migration, records, or record-keeping. Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Arkansas County - The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture 
Regiments. Service men in Prairie County, Arkansas served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Prairie County, Arkansas:
- - Louis' Company, Arkansas Militia (Confederate),
- - 1st Regiment, Arkansas Mounted Rifles (Confederate), Company B
- - 2nd Regiment, Arkansas Mounted Rifles (Confederate), Company C
- - 2nd Regiment, Arkansas Volunteers (Confederate), Company B
- - 6th Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Confederate) , Companies AandE
- - 18th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Company C
- - 36th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Company C
- Confederate Patriots' Index Marilyn Sickel Prairie Co. ARGenweb
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Prairie County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch. Do a Prairie County, Arkansas Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see, FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Fayetteville Daily Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Daily Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Northwest Arkansas Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Courier Times at Ancestry.com ($)
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
- Probate Records 1851-1951 Part of: Arkansas Probate Records, 1817-1979 FamilySearch Historical Collections (Free, browse images)
- Includes Administration and executor bonds and letters 1851-1866; Administration and executor dockets 1852-1895; Administration and executor settlements 1854-1867; Administration and guardian bonds and letters 1885-1951; Administration bonds 1865-1894; Administration, executor and guardian dockets 1885-1925; Executors bonds and letters 1886-1949; Guardian bonds 1866-1894; Guardian dockets 1853-1896; Letters of administration 1866-1894; Letters of guardianship 1866-1891; Letters of testamentary 1865-1933; Probate records 1854-1907; Wills 1852-1932.
- Wills and Probate Prairie County ARGenweb
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Arkansas Vital Records
See also How to order Arkansas Vital Records
- 1854-1962 - Prairie County Marriage Books A-O Index 1854-1962 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1854-1924 - Prairie County Marriage Books A-K Index 1854-1924 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Marriages ARGenweb
- Index to Prairie County Death Certificates beginning Feb 1, 1914 to 1947 - Marilyn Sickel Prairie County ARGenweb
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- List of Arkansas Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Independence County Historical Society
- White River Regional Library
- Lyon College
- Old Independence Regional Museum
Family History Centers
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|ARGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Arkansas History Commission||AR state agency involved in organizing and maintaining state and local history of AR|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "arkansas" in the search box to see a list and links to Arkansas Blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "arkansas genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Arkansas Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Prairie County, AR Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Prairie County Message Board|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 70.
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry Pub., 2004), 65-67. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004.
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, First Arkansas Confederate Mounted Rifles, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988), p. 2. FHL book 976.7 M2a
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 2 October 2014, at 17:59.
- This page has been accessed 6,160 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki