Prior's Heys, CheshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Prior's Heys, Cheshire family history and genealogy: parish registers (baptism, christening, marriage, and burial records), civil registration (birth, marriage, and death records), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and websites.
Prior's Heys (formerly Pryor's Hayes) was an extra-parochial place in Eddisbury Hundred (Map Grid SJ 5166), which became a civil parish in 1858
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241237. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Prior's Heys extra-parochial place no records.
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Prior's Heys Extra-Parochial No Online Records|
|FS PR's|| NONE
|FS BT'S||NONE|| NONE
Since Prior's Heys was extra-parochial, you should search neighbouring parishes. To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click 'Options' and click 'List contiguous parishes.'
- Tarvin, St. Andrew (C of E) has been the parish church for Prior's Heys since 1964.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
Here is a list of the districts that have included Priors Heys since 1837, with dates of inclusion:
- Great Boughton (1837-1870)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Chester (1937-present)
Poor Law Unions
- Great Boughton
Before 1858, records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were probated by the ecclesiastical court with jurisdiction over this place. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place. Here some online gazetteers and maps for England.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2013, at 18:50.
- This page has been accessed 555 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More