Providence County, Rhode Island GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Providence County, Rhode Island ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Providence County, Rhode Island|
Location in the state of Rhode Island
|Founded||June 16, 1729|
Providence County Courthouse
250 Benefit Street
Providence, RI 02903
Probate Judge has probate records
Family Court has divorce records;
Municipal Court has court records;
Recorder Deeds has land records;
Town and City Clerks have birth, marriage and death records
(22 towns in Providence Co) Towns Organized Before 1800; Cranston 1754, Cumberland 1746-7, Foster 1781, Gloucester 1730-1, Johnston 1759, North Providence 1765, Providence 1636, Scituate 1730-1, Smithfield 1730-1
There is no county government. The government is located at town and state levels.
Named for the Divine Providence.
16 June 1729: Renamed Providence County. 
1703: Formed as Providence Plantations County.
For animated maps illustrating Rhode Island County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Rhode Island County Boundary Maps" (1643-1963) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
- Lost census: 1890
Places / Localities
Archives and Libraries
For tips on accessing Providence County, Rhode Island Genealogy census records online, see: Rhode Island Census.
Church History and Records (Rural)
Fold3 ($) has Providence City Directories 1861-1924 available online.
Ethnic, Religious and Political Groups
Cottrol, Robert J. The Afro-Yankees : Providence's Black Community in the Antebellum Era - Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press 1982. (Contributions in Afro-American and African Studies, 0069-9624; no. 68) FHL 974.52 F2c
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
- 1778-1784, 1799-1828 - The Providence Gazette at Google News - free.
- 1779-1781 - The American Journal and General Advertiser at Google News - free.
- 1785-1795 - The Providence Gazette and Country Journal at Google News - free.
- 1799-1801 - The Providence Journal at Google News - free.
The probate records of Providence, 1670 to 1730, have been published. See Frank Calef's index to Providence probate records of 1663 to 1775 (FHL 022385).
See also How to order Rhode Island Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Rhode Island Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Providence County, RI History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Rhode Island Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Providence County RIGenWeb Project, an member of The RIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Providence County.
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Providence County
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 23:29.
- This page has been accessed 8,817 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More