Provo Utah Bonneville Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Provo Utah Bonneville Family History Center is located in the southeast portion of our stake center. The little driveway and parking lot can be entered from 1000 East in back of the church building (which you can get to from a drive only on the north side of the building or from 300 South). You can see a little porch with a metal overhang on the south side of the building across from a utility shed. The door is a cream color with a textured surface.
When you first go in the door, there is the director's desk to your left. On that desk is a special computer where you sign in. We used to have the patrons and staff sign in on paper, but the suggestion was made and a program was designed, so now, we sign in an the computer as you do when you go to some doctor's offices. It makes for a more professional atmosphere.
The east and north walls are lined with computers with two microfilm readers on the west end of the north wall. Right now, we have five available for use. After a recent clean up, the room is sparse, but open for classroom use with a chalkboard on the west wall. On the south end of the chalkboard is a film/fiche reader with a fiche reader next to it. Then on the south end of the west wall is the storage area for microfiche from all of the states and the western world. We also have a filing cabinet for films ordered with storage area for permanent films. Looking back to the east you see the back end of the director's desk which faces the entrance to the Waterford School where toddlers learn to read and use computers.
On the desktop of each computer there is a list of permanent microfilms, links to several genealogy programs, and links to FamilySearch portal, FamilySearch, and New FamilySearch. The portal carries links to several genealogy sites which normally you would have to pay to use, such as Ancestry.com. Also, on FamilySearch, there are records that you can only see at the Family History Center. Others you can see at home on your own computer, but don't miss out on what you can get at the Family History Center.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 85 South 900 East, Provo, Utah 84606
- Near the corner of Center and 900 East in Provo (See above for directions)
- (Link to map using Google
- On Sundays, from 5pm to 9pm is usually reserved for Spanish speaking patrons because we have a brother from Spain who works those hours.
- Sunday 10:30am to 11:30am
- Tuesdays 6pm to 8pm.
- Wednesdays 1pm to 3pm 7pm to 9pm.
- Thursdays 7pm to 9pm
- Hours are flexible according to our patron's needs.
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- We have microfiche from all the states, Scotland Church Registery, English Church Records with 1841-1891 censuses, and some European records; the AIS, PERCY, and LDS Church Records from 1830 - 1848.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- We have five modern computers with flat screens, two microfilm readers, a microfilm/fiche reader, a small microfiche reader, a printer/scanner/fax machine, and a computer dedicated to signing in.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 23:55.
- This page has been accessed 923 times.