Puerto Rico GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
See also FamilySearch Tutorials on Latin American Research.
- Listing of all records collections for Puerto Rico available on FamilySearch.org
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Puerto Rico Civil Registration Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Puerto Rico Catholic Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Puerto Rico, Records of Foreign Residents (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Sovereignty. Spain 1493, United States 1898.
Subdivisions. Puerto Rico is a territory of the US with commonwealth status. There are no first-order administrative divisions as defined by the US Government, but there are 78 municipalities (municipios) at the second order.
For Further Reading
- Puerto Rico GenWeb
- Puerto Rico Genealogical Resources
- Puerto Rican Hispanic Genealogical Society
- PRROOTS.com – Hispanic Genealogical Society
Did You Know?
- 5,000 documents revealing court disputes in Puerto Rico are being scanned by the University of Connecticut's Thomas J. Dodd Research Center. The documents were acquired in 2000. Scanning began in June 2011 thanks to a $15,000 grant from the Center for Research Libraries. They plan to make all the documents available by May 2012. The documents date from 1844 forward and provide information about court disputes related to slaves, land and livestock.
- This page was last modified on 10 November 2015, at 23:16.
- This page has been accessed 67,782 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News