Puget Sound Indian Agency (Washington)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Puget Sound Agency is a currently operating agency located in Everett, Washington. Its supervising office in the Bureau of Indian Affairs is the Portland Area Office. It has administrative responsibility for the Lummi, Muckleshoot, Nisqually, Puyallup, Port Gamble, Port Madison, Stillaguamish, Swinomish, and Tulalip Reservations.
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Puget Sound Agency should not be confused with the Puget Sound District Agency, which was the forerunner to several agencies prior to 1862. It was formerly known as the Western Washington Agency, formed in 1950 when the Taholah and Tulalip Agencies were merged.
- Allotment records, 1913-1974
- Probate records, 1933-1968
- Education records, 1961-1983
The 1900 federal census included population schedules for several tribes under the jurisdiction of the Puget Sound Agency in that year. The census includes the non-Indian employees of the Agency, as well as many pages of Indian Population Schedules for the native population of the Muckelshoot Indian Reservation, District 249, in King County, Washington, the Port Madison Indian Reservation, District 250, in Kitsap County, Washington, and the Lummi Indian Reservation, District 248, in Whatcom County, Washington.
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, p. 125.
- ↑ Guide to Federal Records, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Record Group 75. Available online.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 1 February 2011, at 20:33.
- This page has been accessed 722 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More