Pulaski County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Pulaski County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pulaski County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||December 15, 1818|
|County Seat||Little Rock|
|Address|| Pulaski County Courthouse|
401 W Markham Street
Little Rock, AR 72201
Pulaski County Courthouse
401 W Markham Street
Little Rock, AR 72201
County Clerk has marriage records from 1838, probate records from 1820, voter registration records from 1952, real estate tax records from 1828, personal property tax records from 1869 and poll tax from 1892; Clerk Circuit Court has court, land an naturalization records; Clerk Chancery Court has divorce records; History Commission has probate court records before 1920.
- 1818--Pulaski County was created 15 December 1818 from Arkansas County. County seat: Little Rock 
For animated maps illustrating Arkansas county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Arkansas County Boundary Maps" (1813-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Arkansas counties see: Arkansas Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- Camp Joseph T. Robinson
- Gravel Ridge
- Little Rock
- North Little Rock
- Park Hill
- Rose City
- Family Biographies from The History of Pulaski County, Arkansas (1889) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
(Most click to names of people)
(Often more complete)
More cemetery lists
- Arkansas State Veterans Cemetery, North Little Rock BillionGraves
- Little Rock National Cemetery at Ancestry.com ($)
1820--Census is missing.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Little Rock
- Little Rock, Arkansas City Directories at Ancestry.com ($)
- Biographies from The History of Pulaski County, Arkansas (1889) published by Goodspeed Publishing Company are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Pulaski County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
Emphasis for this timeline is on events that affected migration, records, or record-keeping. Unless otherwise mentioned, the events below were gleaned from Arkansas County - The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture 
- Maps of Arkansas (1813-1925)
- Family Maps of Pulaski County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of 1898 Pulaski County, Arkansas with numerous small settlements. (My Genealogy Hound)
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include"an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Arkansas section begins on page 439.]
Regiments. Service men in Pulaski County, Arkansas served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pulaski County, Arkansas:
- - 1st Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - 1st Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Colquitt's) (Confederate)
- - 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Confederate), Company D
- - 4th Battalion, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Companies A, B, C, D and E
- - 6th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate),
- - 20th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Companies G and I
- - 36th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Companies G and K.
- - 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union), Companies C, G, H, K, L and M
- - 4th Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union)
Civil War Battle Fought in Pulaski County
The following Civil War battle was fought in Pulaski County.
- 1863 - September 10 = Bayou Forche, also known as Little Rock
- Map showing Civil War battles in Arkansas.
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pulaski County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch. Do a Pulaski County, Arkansas Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see, FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
- Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Fayetteville Daily Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Daily Fayetteville Democrat at Ancestry.com ($)
- Northwest Arkansas Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Courier Times at Ancestry.com ($)
- Southern Guardian, 1911-2001 - an ongoing digitization project to make these issues of the predecessor to the Arkansas Catholic available online. As of April 2011, only 1911 issues are available.
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
- Probate Records 1818-1920 Part of: Arkansas Probate Records, 1817-1979 FamilySearch Historical Collections (Free, browse images)
- Includes Administration bonds 1839-1886; Administration bonds and letters 1886-1902; County Court records 1846-1857; Guardian bonds 1864-1873; Guardian bonds and letters 1873-1911; Letters of administration 1860-1886; Letters of guardianship 1873-1886; Letters of testamentary 1861-1919; Probate packets 1819-1920; Probate records 1849-1913; Wills 1818-1849.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Arkansas Vital Records
See also How to order Arkansas Vital Records
- 1838-1971 - Pulaski County Marriage Index 1838-1971 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1838-1921 - Pulaski County Marriage Books 1-81, B1-B4 Index 1838-1921 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Jacksonville Arkansas Family History Center 312 HWY 319 East Vilonia AR 72173 United States
- Little Rock Arkansas Family History Center 13901 Quail Run Dr Little Rock AR 72210-6915
- Pinnacle Mountain Arkansas Family History Center 600 South Rodney Parkham Rd, Little Rock AR 72205 United States
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|ARGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Arkansas History Commission||AR state agency involved in organizing and maintaining state and local history of AR|
|GeneaBloggers||enter "arkansas" in the search box to see a list and links to Arkansas Blogs|
|Google+||list of groups from "arkansas genealogy" search|
|list of groups from "Arkansas Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Pulaski County, AR Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Pulaski County Message Board|
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 70.
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, 3rd ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry Pub., 2004), 65-67. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 2004.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Third Arkansas Union Cavalry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1987), p. 33-92. FHL book 976.7 M28dc
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 26 April 2012).
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 2 October 2014, at 18:02.
- This page has been accessed 10,342 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki