Pulaski County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Pulaski County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pulaski County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||December 15, 1818|
|County Seat||Little Rock|
|Address|| Pulaski County Courthouse|
401 W Markham Street
Little Rock, AR 72201
Pulaski County Courthouse
401 W Markham Street
Little Rock, AR 72201
County Clerk has marriage records from 1838, probate records from 1820, voter registration records from 1952, real estate tax records from 1828, personal property tax records from 1869 and poll tax from 1892; Clerk Circuit Court has court, land an naturalization records; Clerk Chancery Court has divorce records; History Commission has probate court records before 1920.
- 1818--Pulaski County was created 15 December 1818 from Arkansas County. County seat: Little Rock 
See an interactive map of Pulaski County boundary changes.
- Arkansas State Veterans Cemetery, North Little Rock BillionGraves
1820--Census is missing.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Little Rock
- Biographies from The History of Pulaski County, Arkansas (1889) published by Goodspeed Publishing Company are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Pulaski County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Pulaski County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include"an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Arkansas section begins on page 439.]
Civil War Battle Fought in Pulaski County
The following Civil War battle was fought in Pulaski County.
- 1863 - September 10 = Bayou Forche, also known as Little Rock
- Map showing Civil War battles in Arkansas.
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pulaski County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Southern Guardian, 1911-2001 - an ongoing digitization project to make these issues of the predecessor to the Arkansas Catholic available online. As of April 2011, only 1911 issues are available.
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1838-1971 - Pulaski County Marriage Index 1838-1971 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1838-1921 - Pulaski County Marriage Books 1-81, B1-B4 Index 1838-1921 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Jacksonville Arkansas Family History Center 312 HWY 319 East Vilonia AR 72173 United States
- Little Rock Arkansas Family History Center 13901 Quail Run Dr Little Rock AR 72210-6915
- Pinnacle Mountain Arkansas Family History Center 600 South Rodney Parkham Rd, Little Rock AR 72205 United States
- Pulaski Co. AR Genealogy Page
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Pulaski County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Pulaski County Genealogy (Arkansas Genealogy)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 70.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Third Arkansas Union Cavalry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1987), p. 33-92. FHL book 976.7 M28dc
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 26 April 2012).
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d7/Arkansasnz.pdf.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 26 November 2013, at 20:51.
- This page has been accessed 3,653 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More