Pulaski County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Pulaski County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Pulaski County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 13, 1808|
|Address|| Pulaski County Courthouse|
PO Box 29
Hawkinsville, GA 31036-0029
Pulaski County Website
Pulaski County Courthouse
PO Box 29
Hawkinsville, GA 31036-0029
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and court record from 1850 and land records from 1810; Probate, Court has marriage and probate from 1810, birth records from 1935 and death records from 1920
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
No reported loss or damage.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Pulaski County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- History of Pulaski County, Georgia: Official History. Atlanta, Ga.: Press of W.W. Brown Pub. Co., c1935. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Regiments. Service men in Pulaski County, Georgia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Pulaski County, Georgia:
- - 8th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company G
- - 10th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company G
- - 31st Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - 35th Battalion, Georgia (Confederate), Company F
- - 49th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company K
- - Fraser's Battery, Georgia Light Artillery (Confederate)
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Pulaski County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Will Book A, 1810-1816 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers
- Will Book B, 1816-1854 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Will Book C, 1855-1906 Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1810-1856 - Pulaski County Marriage Index 1810-1856. Batch M713531 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1856-1876 - Pulaski County Marriage Index 1856-1876. Batch M713532 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1894 - Pulaski County Marriage Books H and I Index 1876-1894. Batch M713533 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1894-1895 - Pulaski County Marriage Index 1894-1895. Batch M713534 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1894-1895 - Pulaski County Marriage Index 1894-1895. Batch M713535 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1894-1909 - Pulaski County Marriage Books J and K Index 1894-1909. Batch M392305 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Pulaski County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Pulaski County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Pulaski County, Georgia. Page 159 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 50. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/53/Igigeorgiamz.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 12 August 2014, at 16:26.
- This page has been accessed 5,825 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki