Putnam County, FloridaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Putnam County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Putnam County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||January 13, 1849|
Putnam County Courthouse
410 St Johns Ave; PO Box 758
Palatka, FL 32178;
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage, probate, court and land records from 1849,
naturalization records 1849-1914, miscellaneous from 1800,
cemetery record survey. 
For animated maps illustrating Florida county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Florida County Boundary Maps" (1821-1997) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Florida counties see: Florida Counties with Burned Courthouses
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Putnam County, Florida census records online, see: Florida Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- San Mateo
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Putnam County, Florida. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Putnam County, Florida newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Putnam County, Florida Clerk of Court and are housed at the Putnam County, Florida Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Florida Probate Records, 1784-1990. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1849-1974 - Putnam County Marriage Index 1849-1974 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- List of Florida Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Palatka Florida Family History Center
- Putnam County, FL History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Florida Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Florida Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Putnam County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Putnam County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Putnam County, Florida Page 136 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/3/3f/Igifloridamz.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 15:52.
- This page has been accessed 3,625 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki