Rame, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Rame, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records
Rame St Germanus Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||St Germans PLU|
|Registration District||St Germans|
|Parish registers: 1653|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1813|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
RAME (St. German), a parish, in the union of St. Germans, S. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 4½ miles (S. S. W.) from Devonport. 
Rame (Cornish: Hordh) St Germanus is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall. Other places in the parish included: Causand or Cawsand. Originally Cawsand was in the parish of Rame, but now has its own church in the village. The neighbouring church at Maker is in the same parish as Rame. Together they are called 'Maker-with-Rame' parish.
The church in the hamlet is dedicated to St. Germanus, the fighting bishop who is supposed to have landed in the neighbourhood when he came to Britain to suppress the Pelagian heresy in 400 A.D. It is all built of rough slate: the present stone building was consecrated in 1259. The slender, un-buttressed tower with its broached spire (an unusual feature in a Cornish church), the north wall and the chancel are all probably of this date, when the church was cruciform in shape. A south aisle was added in the 15th century and the Norman tympanum is a relic of the earlier church building on the site.The church is not supplied by electricity, and is lit by candles.
Maker with Rame, United Parish in the Diocese of Truro is the modern parish name.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Rame, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Rame, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
Typed transcript of baptisms 1653-1788 is available online at historic records (formerly Record Search)
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/q_s/rame.php The Online Parish Clerk for Rame also contributes to a website, http://www.stoneyburn.ca/OPC_Web/ which includes the following parishes on the Rame Peninsula:
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241259.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 633-638. Date accessed: 20 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- This page was last modified on 22 May 2014, at 22:09.
- This page has been accessed 929 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback