Rayado, Colfax County, New MexicoEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
RAYADO is located at the extreme southeast corner of Philmont Scout Ranch.
- From Cimarron, NM, go west on 10th Street (US 64) toward South Lincoln Avenue. Take the 3rd left onto NM 21 south on Collison Avenue. Travel south about 11 miles. Turn left into Rayado.
RAYADO CREEK - From Rayado travel west toward NM 21. Turn right, go north, for 3.8 miles. The creek starts here and travels through Rayado to Urreca Creek 11 miles west of Springer.
RAYADO MESA - From Rayado, travel south on NM 21 about 2 miles. Continue south on 569, where NM 21 turns left (east), for about 2 miles. It is the Mesa directly to the east. It is 14 miles west of Springer.
RAYADO PEAK - A summit about 9 miles west of Rayado. Go west on the gravel road that crosses NM 21 just south of Rayado from Sunny Side. About 4-5 miles the road forks at the canyon, take the left fork west to the end of the road. It is still more than a mile away.
KIT CARSON MESA - From Rayado, travel south on NM 21 about 1.5 miles. The Mesa is about 1 mile before 199 goes south and NM 21 goes east.
- Latitude: 36.3687 N
- Longitude: - 104.9270 W.
- 6,509 feet (1,984 meters)
Post Office 1873 to 1881 and intermittently to 1919.
1860 US Federal Census, alphabetic list of households, click here.
1880 US Federal Census, alphabetic list of households, click here.
1900 US Federal Census, alphabetic list of households, click here.
Previous spelling of Rayado was Reyado or the older Ryado. Rayado is Spanish for streaked. Certain Native American tribes were called "Rayados" by the Spanish because of horizontal lines painted on their faces. This was a Native American trading point 23 miles west of Springer, and about 12 miles south of the Cimarron River. It was one of the places where the Pueblo Native Americans met the Plains Native Americans. This was the first Spanish settlement east of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. It was established in 1848 by Lucien Maxwell. It became a stagecoach stop along the Santa Fe Trail. Rayado is located where the mountain branch of the Santa Fe Trail intersects with the Cimarron Trail to Fort Leavenworth. In 1857, Maxwell and settlers from this town went to establish the town of Cimarron.
Waite Phillips purchased the townsite in the 1920's, donated the land to what is now part of Philmont Scout Ranch. Today it is the home of the Kit Carson Museum including his reconstructed home, and La Posta, a Santa Fe Trail stage stop dating from the 1850s. The remains have been fully and authentically restored by the Boy Scouts of America and is open for summer tours.
- For an alphabetic list of persons who once lived in Rayado and have online information, click here.
- Free search of obituaries in the Albuquerque Journal, click here.
- For free search of all records, including all census records, click here.
- To go to the Colfax County section, click here
- For a free search of New Mexico Births and Christening records, 1726-1910, click here.
- For a free search of New Mexico Marriage records, 1751-1918, click here.
- For a free search of New Mexico Deaths and Burial records, 1788-1798, 1838-1955, click here.
- For a free search of New Mexico Death records 1889-1945, click here.
- This page was last modified on 1 April 2014, at 02:40.
- This page has been accessed 1,424 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page