Red Cloud Indian Agency (South Dakota)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Red Cloud Agency was established in 1871 and was located on the North Platte River near Fort Laramie in Wyoming. In 1873, the agency was moved to the White River near Camp Robinson in northwestern Nebraska. In 1877, it was moved to the mouth of Medicine Creek on the Missouri River in present-day South Dakota. From that point on, it has been known as the Pine Ridge Agency.
Agents and Appointment Dates
Joseph W. Wham 1871, Jared W. Daniels 1871, Jared W. Daniels 1872, John J. Saville 1873, James S. Hastings 1875, Lt. O. Eltinge 1870, Capt. Frank G. Smith 1876, Capt. Thomas F. Tobey 1876,Lt. C. A Johnson 1877, James Irwin 1877
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Osage Agency, 1871-1880, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, Rolls 715-726. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers on their microfilm roll numbers 1661445 thru 1661456.
Reports of Inspection of the Field Jurisdictions of the Office of Indian Affairs, 1873-1900 have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of Microcopy Number M1070. The reports for Osage Agency, 1874-1879, are on roll 42 of that Microcopy set. Copies are available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll number 1617715).
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found
- This page was last modified on 4 March 2013, at 16:48.
- This page has been accessed 532 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More