Redruth, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Redruth, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
St Uny's Church contributor Tony Atkin
|Poor Law Union||Redruth PLU|
|Parish registers: 1560|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1614|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
REDRUTH (St. Uny), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Penwith, W. division of Cornwall, 53 miles (S. W. by W.) from Launceston, and 262¾ (W. S. W.) from London. There are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans. 
Redruth St Euny Rhyd-ruth. Rhyd an older form of 'Res', which is a Cornish equivalent to a ford (across a river). It is the 'ruth' (and not the 'Red' part of the name) which means the colour red. Redruth St Euny is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Cornwall.
Other places in the parish include: Plengwary, Carnmarth, Euny Redruth, and Little Redruth.
The original settlement of Churchtown around the church was out grown by the town which developed in the demand for copper ore in the eighteenth century.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Redruth St Uny parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Redruth St Uny (1560) Parish Online Records|
|COPC||1560-1693, 1716-1730, 1849-1913||
||1717-1845, 1887-1902|| |
|FS PRs||1560-1749, 1804-1812, 1837-1908||1560-1749, 1813-1830||1560-1749, 1804-1831, 1887-1916, 1935-1997|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 179
Redruth St Andrew parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Redruth St Andrew (1884) Parish Online Records|
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241265.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Redruth in GENUKI
Redruth St Uny in GENUKI
Redruth St Andrew in GENUKI
Redruth St Stephen, Treleigh in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 652-655. Date accessed: 20 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 15 November 2013.
- ↑ Thursten C. Peter, The Parish Registers of Redruth in Cornwall, 1560-1716 (Redruth: Hoblyn and Tayler, 1894). Digitised by FamilySearch Books - free.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- ↑ Thursten C. Peter, The Parish Registers of Redruth in Cornwall, 1560-1716 (Redruth: Hoblyn and Tayler, 1894). Digitised by Google Books - free.
- ↑ Thursten C. Peter, The Parish Registers of Redruth in Cornwall, 1560-1716 (Redruth: Hoblyn and Tayler, 1894). Digitised by Internet Archive - free.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Cornwall Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:32.
- This page has been accessed 3,314 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page