Refugio County, TexasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Refugio County Texas ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Refugio County Courthouse
808 Commerce Street
Refugio, TX 78377-0704
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage records from 1851, probate records from 1840,
court records from 1881 and land records from 1835
The battle of Refugio occurred in 1836, just prior to the Goliad Massacre.
1836--Refugio County was created 17 March 1836 from an Old Mexican Municipality. County seat: Refugio 
See an interactive map of Refugio County border changes.
1879--Many records were destroyed in a courthouse fire in January 1879.
Places / Localities
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for Refugio County, Texas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
*Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Refugio County, Texas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966-2006 (index) - Hidden Ancestors
- Texas County Marriage Records, 1837-1977 - FamilySearch. Index to a variety of marriage records (registers, licenses, intentions to marry, etc.) from select counties in Texas.
- Texas, Marriages, 1837-1973 ~ FamilySearch record collection
- Texas, Marriages, 1966-2010 ~ FamilySearch record collection
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by Family Search and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 (index) - Hidden Ancestors
Societies and Libraries
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Refugio County, Texas. Page 672 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 31 January 2015, at 00:47.
- This page has been accessed 4,129 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More