Register of Cottage Leases Dowlais Iron Company 1818 to 1877Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Use this record to find persons not found in the Merthyr Tydfil 1841 census. It may be used as a census substitute for the missing portion of the Merthyr Tydfil 1841 census. It will allow you to identify
This record contains
- Personal name index
- List of cottage leases
- Page number of lease
- lease number
- property address
- surname and forenames of the lease holder (cottage renter)
- age and status of the lease holder
- date and term of the lease
Before using this record know
- Name of a person to search for
- Approximate year of birth
- Where the person lived
Before using this record search
- Search the 1841 Merthyr Tydfil census
- Search the 1851 Merthyr Tydfil census to see if the family lived in the Merthyr Tydfil area after the time of the 1841 census
- Search the Breconshire 1841 & 1851 census
- Trace the family in civil registration records to determine places of residence before and after 1841
- Search city directories of Merthyr Tydfil from 1838 to 1843
Where to find the record
- Buy the booklet from Glamorgan Family History Society
- At the Family History Library Dowlais Cottage Leases
How to search the record
- Examine the Personal Name to Leases section of the booklet for the name of a person that lived in Merthyr Tydfil. This section of the booklet is arranged by surname and forename.
- Make note of the details listed if a name of interest is found.
- Page: 228
- Lease: 205
- Lease Address: High St 89, High St Back 189
- Surname: Evans
- Forenames: Jenkin
- Age: -
- Abode: Toryvan
- Status: Lessee Miner
- Date: 1839
- Term: 98 years
Consider the possibility that the persons being searched for may have been using patronymics and search for the variant versions of the name being sought.
Do not consider the booklet to have all the information from the lease. Order a copy of the lease or have a researcher in Wales make an extract or transcript for you.
What to do next
You should obtain the original record because it may include additional information such as:
- names of children
- names of relatives or neighbours
The original leases (reference D/D G/H boxes 12-15) are housed at:
Clos Parc Morgannwg
- Find a reference to a lease you want to examine
- Go to Glamorgan Record Office and click on the Ordering Copies link on the left side of the page.
- Click on the Original Document Photocopy Order Form link and print the order form
- Follow the directions on the order form to fill it out, then send the form with the appropriate payment as explained on the form to:
- Glamorgan Archives
- Clos Parc Morgannwg
- CF11 8AW
- This page was last modified on 6 December 2012, at 13:21.
- This page has been accessed 1,651 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page