Rewe, DevonEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Rewe, Devon ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||St Thomas PLU|
|Registration District||St Thomas|
|Parish registers: 1675|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1609|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Exeter|
|Location of Archive|
|Devon Record Office|
REWE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of St. Thomas, partly in the hundred of Hayridge, but chiefly in the hundred of Wonford, Wonford and S. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Exeter with the tything of Up-Exe. This parish is situated on the river Culm, and intersected by the road from Exeter to Tiverton.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Rewe parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|REWE PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241313.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Devon Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 659-665. Date accessed: 2 August 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Devon, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 13 February 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:34.
- This page has been accessed 1,034 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page