Rhode Island 1905 State CensusEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This wiki article describes a collection that is scheduled to become available for free online at FamilySearch Record Search.
Collection Time Period
The enumeration date for this census is June 1, 1905.
This census covers 90 to 95 percent of the individuals within the counties enumerated.
Why This Record Was Created
The state census was taken in order to enumerate the population for representation purposes.
Censuses are usually reliable, depending on the knowledge of the informant and the care of the census enumerator. Information may have been given to a census taker by any member of the family or by a neighbor. Some information may have been incorrect or be inadvertently false.
Population schedules are handwritten on pre-printed cards. The cards are arranged alphabetically by family name and then by town. There are different cards for males and females.
- Key genealogical facts found in the Rhode Island State Census for the year 1905 are:
- Names of individuals living in the household
- Birth place and birth date
- Birth places of parents
- Naturalization status
- Occupation, employment status, and any months unemployed during census year
- Relation to head of family
- Mother of how many children and number of these children living June 1, 1905
- Native born or foreign born
- Year of immigration
- Native born or foreign born
- Number of years in the United States
- Number of years resident in Rhode Island
- Number of months resident during census year in town in which now living
- Whether a Union soldier, sailor or marine
- Whether a widow of a soldier who served during the Civil or Spanish War
- Whether they receive a pension
- Religion (whether Roman Catholic, Protestant or Jew)
How to Use the Record
Census records are the best source to quickly identify a family group and residence. Use the place of residence and the birthplace for each person along with his or her age to search for birth information. The census identifies other persons in the household and may identify persons for whom other records do not exist. Use military information to possibly search military records and religious affiliation information to search church records.
This section of the article is incomplete. You can help FamilySearch Wiki by supplying links to related websites here.
Related Wiki Articles
Sources of This Collection
• Rhode Island. State Archives. Digital images of originals housed in the State Archives, Providence, Rhode Island.
How to Cite Your Sources
Instructions for citing this source can be found at: Cite Your Sources (Source Footnotes)
ID1542866 Please do not erase or change this identification number.
- This page was last modified on 11 November 2012, at 02:07.
- This page has been accessed 1,018 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page