Riverside County, CaliforniaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Riverside County California genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Riverside County, California|
Location in the state of California
Location of California in the U.S.
|Founded||March 11, 1893|
|Address|| Riverside County Courthouse|
4080 Lemon St
1 st Floor
PO Box 12004
Riverside, CA 92502
County Clerk Recorder has birth, marriage, death and land records from 1893
For animated maps illustrating California county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation California County Boundary Maps" (1850-1925) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in California counties see: California Counties with Burned Courthouses
Cities: Banning | Beaumont | Blythe | Calimesa | Canyon Lake | Cathedral City | Coachella | Corona | Desert Hot Springs | Eastvale | Hemet | Indian Wells | Indio | Jurupa Valley | La Quinta | Lake Elsinore | Menifee | Moreno Valley | Murrieta | Norco | Palm Desert | Palm Springs | Perris | Rancho Mirage | Riverside | San Jacinto | Temecula | Wildomar
- Crestlawn Memorial Park, Riverside
For tips on accessing Riverside County, California census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about California denominations, view the California Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Palm Springs
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Archives, Libraries, and Museums
Local histories are available for Riverside County, California. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section California Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See California Land and Property for additional information about early California land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Riverside County, California newspapers in online catalogs like:
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Riverside - Probate records.
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Corona Public Library
650 S. Main Street
Corona, California 98992-3417
Riverside Hall of Justice
4100 Main Street, Riverside, Ca. 92501
Riverside Historic Courthouse
4050 Main Street, Riverside, Ca. 92501
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Anza California Family History Center
- Blythe California Family History Center
- Corona California Family History Center
- Hemet Family History Library**
425 North Kirby
Hemet, CA 92544
Website: Hemet Family History Center
- Jurupa California Family History Center (Riverside)
- Lake Elsinore California Family History Center
- Menifee California Family History Center (Sun City)
- Moreno Valley California Family History Center
- Murrieta California Family History Center
- Palm Desert California Family History Center
- Riverside California Family History Center
Corona Genealogical Society
Meets in the Corona Public Library
Hemet-San Jacinto Genealogical Society, Inc
P. O. Box 2516
Hemet, California 92546-2516
P. O. Box 2557
Riverside, CA 92516-2557
California tax records complement land records and can supplement the years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page California Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. See the CDC Where to Write website for information on acquiring copies of these records. The State office has records since July 1905. For earlier records, contact the County Recorder. See also How to order California Vital Records
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- Riverside County, CA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- California Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- California Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Riverside County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Riverside County, California. Page 86 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 00:28.
- This page has been accessed 10,095 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki