Roseburg Indian Agency (Oregon)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Roseburg Agency was established in 1910 for non reservation Indians living in Oregon and northern California. It was abolished 13 May 1918. Its responsibilities were divided among the Warm Springs Agency, the Siletz Agency, and the Greenville Agency.
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
Many of the historical records of this agency are housed in the Pacific Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in San Francisco. Records in that collection which may be of assistance to the genealogist include census rolls and other administrative files. Many more records of lesser genealogical value are also in this collection.
Microfilm copies of ...Narrative and Statistical Reports... for the Roseburg Agency, 1910-1917, are included in National Archives Microcopy M1011, Roll 119, available in the National Archives system and in the collections of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, beginning with their microfilm number 1724337.
Annual Indian Census Rolls were taken at this agency for 1915 thru 1917. These rolls have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M595, roll 446. Copies of these records are also available at the National Archives, their Regional Archives, and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm number 581440). Census rolls for the Roseburg Agency, 1920-1923, are included in the census rolls of Greenville Agency, on Roll 175 of Microcopy 595 (Family History Library film number 581440). These census rolls are also available online at Ancestry.com's subscription web site.
Records Available Through the Family History Library
- Census Records,1897-1940.FHL film: 976965
- Census Records, 1915-1917. FHL film: 581440
- Index cards for Indians living in the jurisdictions of Roseburg and Greenville Agencies, 1914-1918. FHL film: 977773
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981, pp. 180-181.
- ↑ Guide to Federal Records, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Record Group 75. Available online.
- ↑ American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M1011, p. 27.
- ↑ American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M595, p. 51.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- This page was last modified on 5 January 2016, at 20:19.
- This page has been accessed 1,283 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News