Rotherhithe Christ Church, Surrey GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Rotherhithe Christ Church, Surrey ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Guide to parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Rotherhithe Christ Church, Surrey|
|Poor Law Union||Rotherhithe|
|Parish registers: 1840|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1840|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - Winchester; Post-1845 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
Rotherhithe Christ Church was built as a district church in 1842, from and lying within the boundaries of St Mary, a parish, in the E. division of the hundred of Brixton and of the county of Surrey, 1 mile southeast of London. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyan Methodists.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474659.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 697-703. Adapted. Date accessed: 18 February 2014.
- ↑ Batch P021311, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- ↑ Batch M021311, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Greater London Burials: South London Burials: Parishes, Period and Counts,' British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- This page was last modified on 11 January 2016, at 05:10.
- This page has been accessed 3,013 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News