Rotherhithe St Mary, SurreyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Free guide to Rotherhithe St Mary, Surrey family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, wills, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Rotherhithe St Mary, Surrey|
|Poor Law Union||Rotherhithe PLU|
|Parish registers: 1556|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1682|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - Winchester; Post-1845 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
ROTHERHITHE (St. Mary), a parish, in the E. division of the hundred of Brixton and of the county of Surrey, 1 mile (S. E.) from London. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Wesleyans.
- Beck, Edward Josselyn. Memorials to Serve for a History of the Parish of St Mary, Rotherhithe. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1907. Digital version at Google Books.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474659.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
- 1664 Hearth Tax at Hearth Tax Online - free.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- St Mary's Rotherhithe (official website). Rotherhithe history, history of the Pilgrim Fathers, photographs, visitor directions, service times.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848). Date accessed: 08 October 2013
- ↑ London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St Mary, Rotherhithe in Southwark Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Rotherhithe St Mary in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Rotherhithe St Mary in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Rotherhithe St Mary in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- ↑ Batches C006251, C006252, C006253, C006254, see: Hugh Wallis, "IGI Batch Numbers for London including Middlesex (N-Z), England," IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 17 March 2012.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 'Online Parish Register Search,' ParishRegister.com, accessed 12 March 2012.
- ↑ 'Greater London Burials: South London Burials: Parishes, Period and Counts,' British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- This page was last modified on 8 August 2014, at 19:23.
- This page has been accessed 4,346 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki