Roydon (near Diss), NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Roydon (near Diss), Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Guiltcross PLU|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
ROYDON (St. Remigius), a parish, in the union of Guiltcross, hundred of Diss, E. division of Norfolk, 1¼ mile (W.) from Diss. 
Roydon St Remigius (near Diss) is an Ancient Parish in the diocese of Norwich and the parish boundary froms the county boundary with nearby Suffolk. It is not to be confused with Roydon (near King's Lynn), Norfolk .
It is mentioned in 1035 as Rygedune, and as Regadona and Regheduna in the Domesday Book, and later in 1242 as Reydon. In 1603 there were 124 communicants, and in 1736 there were 60 families, totalling 240 souls. In 1736 it was assessed for tax at tax at 630 and a half pounds.
Its church, St Remigius, is one of 124 existing round-tower churches in Norfolk. The dedication day was kept on the first of October, being the day of his translation.
Roydon is a small village and parish in the county of Norfolk, England, about a mile west of Diss. For local government purposes the civil parish is in the South Norfolk District.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Guiltcross 1837-1902
- Depwade 1902-1974
Roydon (near Diss), Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Roydon (near Diss), Norfolk Parish Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 567/1-9
Parish registers of Roydon (near Diss) Microfilm copies of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Norwich. Some early records in Latin.
Norfolk Record Office nos.: PD567/1-9, 79, 80(W).
Baptisms, 1559-1697, burials, 1658-1680 (1666-1667 follows 1680), 1559-1658, marriages, 1559-1638, 1650-1697, burials, 1681-1693, followed by separate indexes; burials & baptisms, 1698-1784, marriages, 1698-1754 (index before burials); baptisms & burials, 1785-1812; baptisms, 1813-1901; marriages & banns, 1754-1803; marriages, 1804-1901. FHL BRITISH Film 2147145 Items 14 - 21
Burials, 1813-1900; banns, 1804-1858, 1873-1901. FHL BRITISH Film 2147146 Items 1 - 3
Archdeacons transcripts, 1725-1811 Microfilm copies of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library, Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Baptisms, burials and marriages 1725-1811 FHL BRITISH Film 1526815 Item 2
The images are confused with images for Roydon (near King's Lynn), Norfolk and await engineering to create two distinct parish collections. Refer to Roydon (near King's Lynn), Norfolk page for details of that parish images.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438852.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Roydon (near Diss) on GenUKI
- Roydon ST Remigius on A Church Near You
- Upperwaveney Benefice
- Church of St Remigius Roydon on British Listed Buildings
- British History online
- Roydon on Norfolk Churches
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 707-711. Date accessed: 13 May 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 27 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 17 April 2014, at 18:59.
- This page has been accessed 2,346 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki