Runcorn Holy Trinity, CheshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Runcorn Holy Trinity, Cheshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
RUNCORN (St. Bartholomew), is a sea-port and parish, and the head of a union, in the hundred of Bucklow, and the Northern division of the county of Chester; it is 9 miles (S. W. by W.) from Warrington, and 12 miles (E. S. E.) from Liverpool.
The parish includes the chapelries of Aston-by-Sutton, Daresbury, Halton, and Thelwall; and the townships of Acton-Grange, Aston-Grange, Clifton, Hatton, Keckwick, Moore, Newton-by-Daresbury, Norton,Prestonon-the-Hill, Stockham, Sutton, Walton Inferior and Superior, andWeston. There is district church, Trinity.
Runcorn Holy Trinity was created as an Ecclesiatical parish from the Runcorn All Saints, Cheshire Ancient Parish in 1840.
The church was built in 1838 as an evangelical alternative to the parish church of Runcorn. It is a Commissioners' Church with part of its cost being met by the Church Building Commission. The rest was given by public subscription, John and Thomas Johnson, soap and alkali manufacturers, being the principal subscribers. The architect was Joseph Hartley, a local architect, and the church was built by William Rigby, a local builder. The original chancel was short and a longer chancel was added in 1857.
Runcorn, St. Peter. Irwell Lane. Seaman's mission, attached to Holy Trinity; was closed in 1946
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241235.
Runcorn Holy Trinity parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|Runcorn Holy Trinity Parish (1838) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1838-1879
|FS BT'S|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Founded 1838 as a chapel to All Saints, becoming a parish church in 1860. Registers of Baptisms 1838–1945 and Marriages 1861–1959 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office (no burials).
Cheshire Record Office call number: P134/1/1-9, P134/2/1-6.
Here is a list of church records on microfilm at theFamily History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City.
|Parish Transcript Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1838-1879.||BRITISH 2106343 Items 10 - 11|
|Baptisms, 1879-1945. Marriages, 1861-1935.||BRITISH 2106344|
|Marriages, 1935-1941.||VAULT BRITISH 2106218 Item 1|
|Marriages, 1941-1959.||VAULT BRITISH 2262943 Item 8|
Cheshire parish registers are available online in Record Search.
Bishop's transcripts for Holy Trinity Church, Runcorn, 1838-1868 Cheshire Record Office: EDB 178
|Bishop's Transcripts Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1838-1848, 1851, 1854-1868.||BRITISH 1647670 Item 2|
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Runcorn (1837–1974)
- Halton (post 1974)
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
BibliographyStarkey, H.F. (1990), Old Runcorn, Halton: Halton Borough Council, p. 98
- This page was last modified on 12 April 2014, at 19:48.
- This page has been accessed 1,931 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki