Rutland County, VermontEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Rutland County Vermont genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Rutland County, Vermont|
Location in the state of Vermont
|Founded||February 22, 1781|
|Address|| Rutland County Courthouse|
83 Center Street, Rutland, VT 05701-4017
Rutland County Website
Secretary of State Office, Montpelier has birth, marriage, and death records 1760-1955 and divorce records 1760-1968; Town Clerks have land records from 1826; County Clerk has land records 1779-1826 and court records; Probate Court has probate records.
Towns Organized Before 1800:
Fair Haven 1779,
Middletown Springs 1784,
Mt. Holly 1792,
Mt. Tabor 1761,
West Haven 1792
- Created 22 February 1781 from the Colonial lands. 
For animated maps illustrating Vermont County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Vermont County Boundary Maps" (1764-1895) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Places / Localities
Land and Property
Regiments and Companies:
There are two Rutland County Probate Districts
- Rutland District - Brandon, Chittenden, Clarenden, Danby, Ira, Mendon, Middletown Springs, Mount Holly, Mount Tabor, Pittsfield, Pittsford, Rutland, Sherburne, Shrewsbury, Tinmouth, Wallingford and West Rutland.
- Fair Haven District - Benson, Castleton, Fair Haven, Hubbardton, Pawlet, Poultney, Sudbury, Wells and West Haven.
See also How to order Vermont Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Vermont <a title="Vermont Birth Certificate Application" href="http://www.healthvermont.gov/research/records/birth_form.aspx" target="_blank">Birth Certificate</a>, <a title="Vermont Marriage Certificate Application" href="http://www.healthvermont.gov/research/records/marriage_form.aspx" target="_blank">Marriage Certificate</a>, <a title="Vermont Divorce Certificate Application" href="http://www.healthvermont.gov/research/records/divorce_form.aspx" target="_blank">Divorce Certificate</a>, <a title="Vermont Death Certificate Application" href="http://www.healthvermont.gov/research/records/deathcert_form.aspx" target="_blank">Death Certificate</a> Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Rutland Historical Society Inc.
96 Center Street
Rutland, VT 05701-4023
Phone: (802) 775-2006
Email - email@example.com
Family History Centers
- Rutland County, VT History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Vermont Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- FamilySearch.org FamilySearch Catalog for Rutland County
- The Rutland County VTGenWeb Project, an member of The VTGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- The USGenWeb Archives Project for Rutland County
- Rutland County Genealogy (Vermont Genealogy)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 6999 Rutland County, Vermont. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Michael J. Leclerc, Genealogist's Handbook for New England Research, 5th ed. (Boston, Mass.: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2012), 395. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 974 D27g 2012.
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 23:36.
- This page has been accessed 7,901 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki