Sachsen (Saxony) – Königreich (kingdom)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Germany Kingdom of Saxony
Guide to Sachsen (Saxony) – Königreich (kingdom) ancestry, family history, and genealogy: birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, parish registers, and military records.
FamilySearch Wiki is a community website dedicated to helping people throughout the world learn how to find their ancestors. Through the Kingdom of Saxony page you can learn how to find, use, and analyze German records of genealogical value. The content is variously targeted to beginners, intermediate, and expert researchers. Please visit the help page to learn more about using the site. The Kingdom of Saxony page is a work in progress, your contributions and feedback are essential!
Getting started with Kingdom of Saxony research
|How to Find Information for Saxony Ancestors|
Doing Research in the Kingdom of Saxony
What do you know about your ancestor? When was he born, when did he marry, when did he emigrate? Do you need records from the 20th, 19th, 18th or 17th century? Keep in mind that the most correct research comes from looking up primary sources, records that were established by the authorities with which your ancestor had to do business. To begin your research:
Look for a mentor. He or she is someone who already knows a lot about your area of interest.
Establish a research community. Join a forum or genealogical society interested in your area of research.
Let others share your findings. This way your research can be checked and added upon.
Only add information from primary sources. Information found on the internet can be helpful or be a guideline, but should always be checked for accuracy!
Always make a note of where you found your information.
Here are some helpful sources for research done by century:
1. Civil Registration records
2. Church records
3. Address books
5.Einwohnermeldeamt (registers of moving in and out of a community)
6. Village chronicles
7. Court records of the Amtsgericht (lower court) such as land ownership, testaments, divorces etc.
1. Most of the above
2. Index Köhler and Blanckmeister
3. Kirchenbuchstellen (church registers availability)
4. Population registers in local archives
5. Court records dealing with land purchases, inheritances, land transfers etc.
6. Records of immunization
7. Military records
1. Most of the above
2. Hufen und Steuerverzeichnisse (indexes of land occupation and taxes)
3. Quatamber and Schocksteuerverzeichnisse (indexes of church contributions and property taxes)
4. Collection Schmidt
5. Military recruiting lists (Stammrollen and Musterungsrollen) for the Saxon army
6. Schoetgen and Kreyßig
7. Lineage village books (few)
8. Pfarrverzeichnisse (confirmations and Kirchstuhlregister). These indexes show who occupied a certain seat within a congregation.
1. Türkensteuer ( a tax levied to protect against the invasion of Turks. This is the first register of people in Saxony).
2. Landsteuer (tax levied for contractual land owners)
3. Amtsbücher (administrative records showing residents who have to render services)
4. Visitationsprotokolle (visits by church authorities who inspect schools and also oversee the conversion process, i.e., Catholics become Protestants)
Source: Rene Gränz. Forschungshinweise für den Anfänger und fortgeschrittenen Forscher der Familien- und Heimatforschung in Sachsen. 8. Webmeeting-Webgenealogie-June 2012
For town and city maps in Sachsen click here and then click on "Zur Kartendarstellung". You can use a specific street address if you know it.
Another online map showing towns and administrations (Amtsgerichte = Lower Courts) can be found here
This site will give you parish jurisdictions and other interesting and helpful information regarding towns and cities in Sachsen.
(Your text or images here, or use the table below:)
- (helpful tools and resources)
- (language dictionary, handwriting guide or tutorial, etc.)
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Germany, Saxony, Bautzen Lutheran Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Germany, Saxony, Freiberg Funeral Sermons (FamilySearch Historical Records)
This is a website featuring Saxony in quite great detail about regions and cities
Things You Can Do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
- http://www.aller-ursprung.de/ (features emigration newspapers)
- Die Kirchenbücher im Königreich Sachsen - http://wiki-de.genealogy.net(church books in Saxony)
- http://www.genealogienetz/de/reg/SAC/Kirchen/ort-A.html (places and churches)
- http://www.slub-dresden.de/ (Landesbibliothek)
- http://www.archiv.sachsen.de/ (archives)
- Genealogie Sachsen Orts- und Kirchliste
- A collection of ancestral lines and online resources you will find here http://www.webgenealogie.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=1
- Online gazetteer for the Kingdom of Sachsen
- http://web.isgv.de/online-publikationen This website has several features: Gazetteer function (Ortsverzeichnis), biography search function for prominent Saxonians, by last name, professions etc. The website also features historical documents taken from Amtsbücher (administrative records) created by Kurfürst Morítz between 1547-1553). There is a digital picture archive.
- This page was last modified on 6 December 2014, at 01:35.
- This page has been accessed 6,070 times.